Album and Disk sub-headers

Discuss Muso, or get help
Viking

Album and Disk sub-headers

Post by Viking »

Will values (content) added to either of these two tags be stored only within Muso or is there a way to store these also in the MP3 file itself?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Album and Disk sub-headers

Post by musoware »

You can feed them from custom tags via the Import Actions if you configure it that way, then they will be stored in both. However if you enter them in Muso, that's the only place they will be.
Viking

Post by Viking »

OK - I see. There can only be one reason why you decided to add this optional tags; There is a need for them!
And I agree. Guess that's why I find it strange why no one has ever come up with the idea of adding Album/Disk subheader to the ID3 standard?

As I understand Muso, the only way to avoid it to present the same album several times (as many as there are disks in it), is to create a folder structure using CD1, CD2, CD3 and to make sure the album name is the same for all. It would be much better if Muso used the Disk# tag to assume this condition. If a disk has a number entered in the DISK# tag it should automatically be assumed to belong to a master Album under the same parent folder. The master is always numbered 1 (or 01). That way, the actual folder name or Album tag would be ignored and sub headers would appear as ; <Album name, subheader> in the album_name tag, which is the next best thing.
If I do this today, Muso displays the same album image n-times in a row, which looks like a bug. :-)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Viking wrote:OK - I see. There can only be one reason why you decided to add this optional tags; There is a need for them!
And I agree. Guess that's why I find it strange why no one has ever come up with the idea of adding Album/Disk subheader to the ID3 standard?

As I understand Muso, the only way to avoid it to present the same album several times (as many as there are disks in it), is to create a folder structure using CD1, CD2, CD3 and to make sure the album name is the same for all. It would be much better if Muso used the Disk# tag to assume this condition. If a disk has a number entered in the DISK# tag it should automatically be assumed to belong to a master Album under the same parent folder. The master is always numbered 1 (or 01). That way, the actual folder name or Album tag would be ignored and sub headers would appear as ; <Album name, subheader> in the album_name tag, which is the next best thing.
If I do this today, Muso displays the same album image n-times in a row, which looks like a bug. :-)
Not a bug - you just need to give Muso a hint as to how the album is stored - have a read of this : http://musoware.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... _Collation
Viking

Post by Viking »

I'm still stuck. I switched off the "Collate By Folder" under Options Album Collation and then cleared and re-imported everything. The below example shows my "problem" (I have many such cases throughout the whole DB):
Capture.JPG
Then I went on trying all three different settings for Album Organisation (the three differen icons under edit track fields) after first selecting every track form all 6 CD's, then clicking Edit Tracks, and finally Apply the changes to the database. I made sure the column named Collate type changed from 0 to 1,2 and 3 respectively. The result (displayed above) remained the same unaffected by my setting of the collate type.

What is it here that I do not understand?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

It's because your album names are different for each disk (includes Vol I, Vol II etc). If you want this as one album you should edit the album name across all 6 disks to "Songs for Christmas" and set the disk number correctly for each volume. In the disk subheader for (the first song on) each disk add the volume info, eg. "Vol 1 - Noel". Then if the volumes have their own sub-folder set the collate type to "Same Parent Folder".
Viking

Post by Viking »

Well, using what you call "Disk SubHeader" would be a nice option if this info could be stored inside the MP3 files in a standardized fashion known to and understood by other apps. In my mind, as long as the Disk# tag is set to something different from 1, it should indicate that the CD belongs to a set of CD's and by default be collated and displayed as a single CD (independandt of the name of the album) (?) That would give me full control as I would only drop the disk-numbering should I choose to display each CD using different images. You Collate Type would then be just a way for me to tell Muso how I organize my folders so that it knows where to locate the master CD (#1).