Morbeas

Re: Getting the word out there

Post by Morbeas »

Yup, definitely agree with Viking.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Well I've written a iphone/ipod-touch front end for my own personal use but I'm put off making it public (or even pursuing it further) for various reasons, eg. slowness, comms problems, and the fact that as someone said muso's strength is in it's full-screen browsing experience (it doesn't really translate well to a tiny screen). Also as it stands, being a .NET product, it requires a windows-based server component. To get around that I'll have to redevelop from the ground up in PHP/mySQL, but as it happens my day job is pointing me down that path anyway so I may become more adept in those technologies soon.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

Key word is "Ipad". As it stands, Ipeng is the only game in town. And no problem if I need to leave a PC running to act as a server.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

I would buy it instantly.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Viking wrote:Dear Jezbo,
In my opinion - what you need to do, is to make an iPhone App version of Muso (and/or an Android App). Even if version 1.0 only works while the users is within his/her home WLAN, it's on the mobile platform that the future is won. And as you know, getting a dollar or two for every download is easy.
Meanwhile, I'm spreading the word as much as I can.... :-)
Viking
I second Viking's opinion
jdk

Post by jdk »

I did say on the LMS forums that Muso's unique strength is in its full-screen browsing experience. Lots of information, presented well. Muso will transfer very well to tablets, if you decide to pursue that path. Muso's key strength will be lost on phones.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

There are remote desktop solutions like Splashtop which will let you run Muso (on your windows PC/laptop) from your tablet - I've checked and there are versions of Splashtop available for iPad and Kindle Fire - free I think. If I had one I'd try it! There might be some annoyances with the UI but perhaps I can make some tweaks which would help with touch-screen devices.
jdk

Post by jdk »

musoware wrote:There are remote desktop solutions like Splashtop which will let you run Muso (on your windows PC/laptop) from your tablet.
I did try Muso on my tablet using remote desktop software -- I mentioned it on the LMS forum thread. This is what I wrote:

"For what it's worth, over Christmas I tried using Muso on a 10 inch tablet using remote desktop software. It was quickly obvious that even a 10 inch screen is far too small to use Muso in this fashion -- there was a lot of zooming in and out. But I don't think it would be too difficult to re-design Muso for the tablet screen and still retain everything that makes Muso unique."
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Thanks jdk. Did it restrict your desktop to a particular maximum resolution? What about responsiveness?
I'd like to try it myself, I've got my eye open for a cheap 1st or 2nd generation ipad on ebay, then when I can see it I can think about any necessary re-design.
MDE

Post by MDE »

While I agree that a Muso app would be nice, in the short term I am looking at how various other software works together with Muso to give an acceptable solution. In particular, by using Whitebear, you can link to Asset UPNP on the server side (which has a customisable menu structure) and SB on the player side. This means that the choice of app is extended into the UPNP world - e.g. Kinsky and Plugplayer. One snag with this is that Muso does not pick up the "now playing" info unless the selection was done via LMS rather than Asset. I don't understand why this should be the case as I thought it picked up the info from the player side. Also, if you are playing a track selected via Asset UPNP from Kinsky (say) then Muso sulks when you try and select a player. I think this may be a Muso-Whitebear interaction problem, so am sending a log file by email in case it sheds any light on it.