Wikipedia and other links

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
MDE

Wikipedia and other links

Post by MDE »

I've noticed that the wikipedia links seem to be a bit restrictive. For example, I just ripped my copy of Haydn's Creation. There is a very fine wikipedia page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Creation_(Haydn). The wikipedia link in the Album browser just gives the composer, which is OK, but then you have to look for the work. I appreciate that this may not be straightforward in trying to find matches for album names or tracks, but (for example) iPeng attempts it, although not always successfully. Alternatively, and more generally, is there scope for allowing the user to specify their own links somehow (and being a control freak, I'd like this in a custom tag, rather than just the Muso database)? This could also allow links to local .htm files. Any thoughts?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Wikipedia and other links

Post by musoware »

Links in custom tags are an idea. We'd need a Links column in the track database, and for muso to show these in the album/track pages.
I'm not sure how local html files would work - what would you have in here, and what would you put the local path in the custom tag?
MDE

Post by MDE »

Just out of interest, I tried putting an <a href= ...> tag in the album subheader field. It highlights but does not link.
I think pdf files are a better solution for local information files, rather than html files (see separate thread on artwork), but if there were local html files I assume they would have a pathname rather than a URL.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

By the way, my album page for Franz Joseph Haydn - The Creation does create the first wiki link to the page you put in your first post - I wonder why yours is different - do you have the full composer's name?

I see what you mean about full html links in the album sub-header - I'll see if this can be made to work.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Hmm yes you need to add an OnClick event to make this work, like so:
This does make it a Muso-specific link.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (16.01 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
MDE

Post by MDE »

I get it too now. I had the composer as Franz Josef Haydn before. However, the link in comments could be a useful feature; I can't get it to work at the moment - probably a mistype - and must do some work today :(
I'll look at again this evening.
EDIT That works very nicely thanks. The problem was that I had edited it in the database directly and it didn't take the changes, even after restarting Muso. I then edited the underlying tag (the correct approach in my view) and re-imported and it was fine. This may have some further potential.
EDIT 2 Dimwit! Of course editing the COMMENT tag in Muso doesn't work. (This begs other questions, but I won't go there).