More suggestions

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
musoware
Site Admin

Re: More suggestions

Post by musoware »

Incidentally, if any HQPlayer user could let me know what minimum kit is required to transform a standard laptop into a system where I can experience the audio benefits of HQPlayer myself, I'd give it due consideration as long as we're not talking thousands. I'm sure I could improve the software partnership if I was an HQPlayer user and fan myself, rather than rather blindly trying to follow what the users think they want.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Yeah that would be a good idea. Ideally you want an Intel i7 6700K processor system or very near equivalent so probably not a laptop. If you check out the Computer Audiophile threads there's loads of build details. Most are using something like a large Fractal Design enclosure so as to accommodate a graphics card with CUDA support e.g. geforce gtx 1080. This is to allow for future processing demand increase if required. The i7 will handle upsampling redbook CD to DSD512 which everyone is raving about. You can partner this with a T+A DAC8 DSD or on a lower budget an iFi DSD DAC.
maggio

Post by maggio »

CPU choice depends on what do you want. If you need only PCM upsampling an I3 is more than enough. If you want to upsample PCM and DSD to max ASDM 256 an I5 is sufficient. To upsampling everything to ASDM 512 you need an I7 6700.
maggio

Post by maggio »

musoware wrote:Incidentally, if any HQPlayer user could let me know what minimum kit is required to transform a standard laptop into a system where I can experience the audio benefits of HQPlayer myself, I'd give it due consideration as long as we're not talking thousands. I'm sure I could improve the software partnership if I was an HQPlayer user and fan myself, rather than rather blindly trying to follow what the users think they want.
If you want to try HQPlayer you need a windows system > 8.1. You can download a free demo from Signalyst (working 30 days). Then you need a licence.
I would ask Miska for a free licence since you are a software developer.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

maggio wrote:If you want to try HQPlayer you need a windows system > 8.1. You can download a free demo from Signalyst (working 30 days). Then you need a licence.
I got that, just don't have any computer audio gear - I have a traditional hifi.
maggio

Post by maggio »

musoware wrote:
maggio wrote:If you want to try HQPlayer you need a windows system > 8.1. You can download a free demo from Signalyst (working 30 days). Then you need a licence.
I got that, just don't have any computer audio gear - I have a traditional hifi.
Well, you only need an USB DAC.
PC (HQPlayer+Muso) ---> DAC (USB) ---> Preamp
That's all!
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

maggio wrote:
musoware wrote:
Well, you only need an USB DAC.
PC (HQPlayer+Muso) ---> DAC (USB) ---> Preamp
That's all!
My main issue is I don't have or want any computer near my traditional hifi gear - maybe some silent headless fanless linux box would be OK. Would a Raspberry Pi + USB Dac combination work for instance? Muso can work with a remote HQplayer instance on the same network, so I could run Muso from some PC in another room and use the remote on a smartphone, theoretically.
maggio

Post by maggio »

You can use a cubox-i, a hummingbird, a beaglebone, a raspberrypi 1/2/3.
It is connected through lan with your pc (HQPlayer+Muso) and with USB to Dac.
The iso image has to be copied on a micro usb card, you can download from https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/
Maggio