Various Artists Weirdness

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
RichG

Various Artists Weirdness

Post by RichG »

Today I have added three new compilation albums to my library, all tagged in my usual way with AlbumArtists set to "Various Artists" and the Compilation tag set.

One of the albums has imported correctly into Muso and is viewable with my other VA albums as normal (I do not have the 'Titled Artist' option for VA albums set).

However the other two albums are not being listed with the others but show up as "Various Artists":

I have had a good look at the tags and can't see anything unusual. I tried to fix them by redoing the relevant tags and re-scanning in LMS / Muso but no change...
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Various Artists Weirdness

Post by musoware »

If you have "Various Artists" in the Album Artist tag I would expect that to be assumed as the titled artist like any other string value would be. Are you saying that's what you have for other compilations and it's showing no titled artist?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

You shouldn't have an "Artist Group Name" for compilations blank if that's what you are saying - it has to file compilations under some entry in the hierarchy by Artist,and that's what this defines. It's only by having the next checkbox TICKED that it also uses this name as the titled artist for compilations.
RichG

Post by RichG »

All my compilation albums have AlbumArtist set to "Various Artists" (i need this to be the case for other software) and have the compilation flag set (this has been the way I have done this since before using Muso). These two problem albums are no different than all the others (of which there are a couple of hundred or so).

I have not changed the default setting in the options - it still reads "Various Artists" and the check box is NOT ticked.

So why are these two albums behaving different to all the rest (including the other new addition which is tagged in the same manor)?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Which version of muso are you on?
RichG

Post by RichG »

Latest Muso v.1.5.20

BTW All three albums show up as expected in LMS, which suggests the issue is in Muso some place.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

We did some changes a while back to do with "Various Artists". I'd be surprised if tags with this value are ever stripped off by Muso now, we decided that it shouldn't. Maybe it's just the new logic kicking in for you now, which doesn't match what you imported previously. If you check the album attribues in Muso for one of the albums it has previously put in the compilations, you may find that the AlbumArtist is actually blank since it was previously stripped off by Muso. It no longer does this, it takes AlbumArtist tags as given.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Actually, you right. The one album that works properly does have blank AA tags. However, I'll need to fix that for Foobar ...(!).

Is there a way to get the old functionality back please, so I can keep the same tagging scheme, which AFAIC is the correct standard way to do it?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

RichG wrote:Actually, you right. The one album that works properly does have blank AA tags. However, I'll need to fix that for Foobar ...(!).

Is there a way to get the old functionality back please, so I can keep the same tagging scheme, which AFAIC is the correct standard way to do it?
I was afraid this might happen, we (not you perhaps, but a few users and I) went through a long protracted discussion about this (on the LMS Muso Support thread) and I was convinced in the end that the old way of doing it was wrong. If muso assumed "Various Artists" implied a compilation and should display no titled artist (as it did before), why not the German or Danish equivalent? So now AlbumArtist tags are taken literally - if they are populated and passed to muso that's what it will use as the titled artist, and the existence of a titled artist by definition implies it's not a compilation (other than by our understanding that that's what "Various Artists" implies).
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

LMS presumably files this album (and all others) under "Various Artists" too though doesn't it?