How to manually edit muso db?

Discuss Muso, or get help
DuLac

How to manually edit muso db?

Post by DuLac »

When I started using muso with my music collection a couple of years ago, I decided to fill the #COMMENT tag with each musician name and his/hers instrument in brackets. I also entered the same info but without the instruments or the brackets in the #PERFORM tag. I used this approach to try and keep maximum consistency when searching for musician names.
I now would like to enter the complete information (musician name plus instrument) in the #PERFORM tag. I would like to edit the database to adjust it to my new approach. Can someone tell me where is the muso db located and what program shall I use to edit its contents. I believe it is no longer a simple xml file as in the past.
Thanks.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: How to manually edit muso db?

Post by musoware »

Why don't you edit the db through muso?
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Because I have something like 7,000 different CDs I do not think this would be very feasible. Am I missing something about muso's editing capabilities?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Well you can select all rows (control-A) and enter search/replace text, swap column values, etc, all under the protection of being able to roll-back your changes should it go wrong.

If you want to edit the xml file, you could do so, but it's a bit more risky. I'd recommend taking a backup of the C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database folder (assuming you use a shared database), deleting Music Library.db from the folder (this forces Muso to reload from XML on next startup), editing Music Library.xml as required, saving it, then restarting Muso (it should then re-create the .db file).
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Many thanks. I'll have a go at both solutions to see which one may serve me better. However, editing the xml file seems to be the ideal approach. It will allow me to also check and solve some existing discrepancies on the abbreviations I will be using to identify each instrument.