DATE and YEAR tags

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
Morbeas

DATE and YEAR tags

Post by Morbeas »

Ok, I'm submitting an enhancement request as per your suggestion.

The way I have all my music tagged right now is with the YEAR tag. In this tag, I input the actual release year of the album in question. I'd like to also be able to utilize the DATE tag for compilation albums so that I can input the release year for each individual track.

Thanks as always and keep up the great work. :)
Morbeas

Re: DATE and YEAR tags

Post by Morbeas »

PS. I just noticed that there's an ORIGYEAR tag in Mp3tag. It might be a more appropriate tag to use for the individual tracks. What do you guys think?
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

I'm not sure how up to date this page is but it doesn't look like LMS supports the ORIGYEAR tag so it might be best to stick with the DATE & YEAR tags.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/S ... portedTags
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

If I'm reading that wiki page correctly it implies LMS will read either DATE or YEAR tag into a single Year attribute. I could make Muso support both and read both tags into separate track columns on file/folder import, but importing from LMS its only going to send Muso one value.

NB. There's a similar requirement for classical music albums: date of album release (or recording) vs date of composition. I use a custom field in Muso for the latter, I just fill it in after importing rather than reading it from a custom tag. Then I use this custom field in the hierarchical view drill-down.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

Ok than since we can't make LMS play nice regarding this issue, can I just use the ORIGYEAR tag and have muso import that and display it?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Related threads in LMS forums:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/i ... 71539.html
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... rrect-year

I can probably do as you want, but I don't want to introduce any bespoke behaviour that suits one user and no-one else. I gather from the original question on this thread is that you need a new year tag that's interpreted by Muso (and displayed) at track level rather than album level (eg. for compilation albums), but I'm still not convinced the standard ORIGYEAR tag is understood by the community as being for that purpose. For example we might have an album from 1973 that is re-issued in 2014, we might want both those dates in muso but both are pertinent to the album level rather than track.

I'll give it some more thought. Vagskal on the first of those threads is actually a muso user as well, I'd welcome his input.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

Ok, I certainly understand your concerns. Let me know if I can be of any help in determining the best way forward.

Thanks as always.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Time to resurrect this question, as I'd like Muso to have more date fields. I have a suggestion for what date fields Muso might support:
  • YEAR - the year the album was released (this is all that is there now) - shown at album level - drives album sorting by year
  • ORIGINAL YEAR - the original year of the album release - for re-issues, special editions etc. Shown only in album page header if present. Add an option whether this is to be used in preference to YEAR (when both present) in album sorting, filtering by year/decade, and year cloud view. Add separately as an option to hierarchy browse view.
  • TRACK YEAR - for compilations generally - shown on Now Playing page in preference to album year, and included in album track listing - display only, won't affect album sorting/filtering
  • YEAR OF COMPOSITION - for classical albums specifically where specialized classical support turned on. Shown in classical album track/group listing in preference to track year. Feeds browsing by classical period (as priority over composer productive years) - will match any album which includes a composition in the specified period. Possibly add separately as an option to hierarchy browse view - will match any album which includes a composition in that year (though this may present issues - eg. browse by year of composition then by work - it would by default list all works on the album not only those matched to the year).
I'm still not sure about standard tags to feed these as there seem to be lots of views on what the "standards" are, but the 3 new fields would all be made feedable via custom tags in any case. LMS would continue to feed YEAR only as that is all it has (to be reviewed whether that is still the case).

Feedback welcome before I embark on this.
RichG

Post by RichG »

This all sounds good to me.

The 'year'/ 'original year' things is something which often bugs me when sorting out my tags for newly ripped albums. Often the on-line tagging databases use the date tag for the CD / Re-Issue date - but I am pretty much only really ever interested in the date the album was originally released (regardless of format). On the rare case were I have multiple versions of the same album, being able to have separate tags for these would definitely help.

I also like the idea of 'track year' and particularly 'year of composition' (although I'm not aware of that being stored on any on-line databases, so would often need researching - not a bad thing necessarily).
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Yes, RichG. I follow the same approach. I simply do not care when any given album was released. All I want is to be able to see when that album was recorded. I therefore use the YEAR tag for that purpose. Of course there are many (jazz, for sure) records which were recorded in several sessions, sometimes on totally different dates. That is why I always try to include the name of the venue and/or place of the session and its date in the Track Group Header field which is very handy because more often then not the players are not the same on each individual session. I cannot index on these session dates though, but I am not too concerned about that.
Last edited by DuLac on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.