Titled Artists

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Titled Artists

Post by musoware »

OK thanks, the change in 2.2.0.5 was to cope with the scenario the OP posted where the performers were different among the tracks in a group. I'll try to come up with a scheme that will satisfy both scenarios.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

I've managed to restore my system to version 2.2.04. Please have a look at the 2 images below and refer to my previous posts
This one refers to the same CD shown on the previous post
2.2.04.jpg
This one shows how I use the GroupHeader level
2.2.04_1.jpg
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Thanks. I don't think even 2.2.0.4 was perfect though: Booker Ervin was given credit as a performer on the first album as a whole but not the session (group). And it didn't show performers at track level I don't think, only the composer - not a problem for you if you always 'group' by session, but not everyone wants to do this. I think we should have the following rules for Performer & Composer:

*show all performers at group level if they are ALL the same for the whole group, otherwise show them all on a per-track basis (within the group) - and in both cases show even if the same as the album artist (titled artist), composer, or if common to the whole album.
* On non-classical albums show composer at track level only (in brackets after the track name), and make it distinguishable from performers if these are shown at track level.

For all other secondary attributes it will show them hierarchically, ie.
* credit on the album those that are common to all tracks,
* additional credit on the group for those common to all the tracks in the group but not in the album credits,
* credit on the track those that are not in the group or album credits.
I think for lists of performers though it makes sense to keep them together at Group OR Track level (it can still show performers on all tracks in the album credits).
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

It sounds OK to me!
Season’s Greetings ...and thank you for your continuous support.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK am releasing these changes as 2.2.06
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

New version installed and all is well. Thanks a lot.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Apologies for delay in testing this new version - combination of heavy cold, too much work and installing a new computer. Excuses over, the short answer is that the new version does handle the specific problem that I raised. The remaining , somewhat semantic, question is whether someone who is the (only ) "Artist" on all but two tracks should be omitted from the album credit just because there are two instrumental tracks. I'm not sure I know the answer to this. Perhaps a re-think of the use of "album artist" is called for, but there aren't any simple answers that will read the user's mind! I haven't got round to seeing how the new version handles a variety of other situations yet. I appreciate that it is difficult to have a scheme which suits everyone, especially as Muso is so flexible in catering for different needs. Just a quick look around other albums, I note that the orchestra now comes before the conductor, but any performer will come between them. My tagging scheme is to put the instrument in brackets after the performer (which I would think would work for jazz too?), so the performers are clear. It is possible to clarify roles, by adding explanatory text before an "import action", e.g. "Cond. @Conductor" (with conditional ticked, just in case Conductor is blank). Presumably this could be used for composers in jazz, e.g. "(comp. @Composer)" or some such. (I'm not sure what happens if you write tags to the song file in these cases, but hopefully it ignores the surrounding strings. [EDIT On reflection it will write the strings too - not a big deal if they are in a standard form that can be stripped out by a global mp3tag action, but a bit inelegant all the same].) However, you really don't want this in classical albums, especially as the composer is shown before the title, which I think is spot on, so it is not really an answer. For non-classical albums, showing the composer(s) in brackets, separately from the artists/performers makes sense to me. If someone has two roles (artist and composer), then I would expect them to be shown twice (once in brackets).
Anyway, I think the new version is a useful development, if only to get some of the semantics out into the open. I'll continue to work on the "classical tagging" scheme, but I rather hope it would work for jazz as well as classical (as well as simpler stuff). A bit more info on how DuLac tags the jazz albums would be interesting.