Titled Artists

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
MDE

Titled Artists

Post by MDE »

Not sure if this is a bug or just a query. I have tagged Carolyn Sampson's "A Baroque Diva" to have Carolyn as artist and album artist on all tracks except 2 which are instrumental only. Since there are many composers, these do not appear as titled artists, which is fair. However, neither does Carolyn. Of the 2 instrumental tracks, the first is the first in a group and Carolyn receives no credit for any of the group, the 2nd is last in a group and she gets credit for the whole group. If I put her down as album artist on the first instrumental track then she gets credited with the album, but so does Rameau, who only composed a few of the tracks (notably the group which includes the 2nd instrumental track). If I add her as album artist to the 2nd instrumental track then Rameau gets kicked off.
I think I understand this behaviour apart from the different treatment of the group credits, when one track is instrumental, which just depends on whether it is the first track or not. I would have thought that the correct treatment would be to credit the artist on a track by track basis if it is different within a group, but credit the album to the artist if the large majority of the tracks have that artist.
EDIT: I should have said that I am talking about the album page in the above discussion. The now playing page credits the individual tacks correctly.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Titled Artists

Post by musoware »

I think perhaps a screenshot or two to illustrate the problem?
MDE

Post by MDE »

I appreciate that the post was a bit difficult to follow. I hope the following clarifies. This first screenshot shows the tracks. Carolyn is not shown as Artist on the highlighted tracks because she doesn't sing. The tracks are grouped (but the grouping is not shown on this screen).
Edit tracks.JPG
The next screen shows the Album view (first part). You can see that Carolyn gets no credit for any of the tracks in Te Deum laudamus, although she is named as Artist on all but track 3 (the first track of the group).
Album 1.JPG
You will also see that she gets no credit for the Album even though she sings on all but two tracks.
The next screen shows the second part of the Album view. You can see that Carolyn gets the credit for all La lyre enchantee, although she does not sing on the last track of the group.
Album 2.JPG
So it seems that the treatment varies depending on which track in the group she doesn't sing.
Also, if I try and fix the lack of Album credit by making her Album Artist, that does give her credit at the Album level, but it is not clear that she is not singing on 2 tracks. If I omit her as Album Artist on the 2 tracks on which she doesn't sing the I am back to the previous (illustrated) scenario. It also makes no difference if I use the Performer tag.
This may seem a bit picky (and maybe it is) but I am trying to refine my "classical music tagging" scheme with a view to simplifying the custom imports. I was looking at using Album Artist in LMS for the "Main performer" who I have been mapping to Artist in Muso. This would allow use of the new LMS additional browse modes to browse just the main performers. I am trying to decide whether to keep the Muso mapping to Artist or make it to Album Artist (which would then not require a custom import).
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK I see now. The Track Grouping is assuming the performers are the same on all the constituent tracks within the group, so only looking at the first track in the group to determine who to give credit to for the group (those without the whole album credit). I appreciate you'd expect a finer grain of control, but this is just to let you know why you are seeing what you are. I'll review this soon though to see if I can provide that finer granularity.
MDE

Post by MDE »

It would be helpful to know which way this is likely to develop. At the moment, it seems like any Group Heading just picks up the artist etc info from the first track in the group. In many cases this is fine, but not always. A particular example is opera, where different performers might appear in different acts/scenes. The classical music tagging scheme I am developing allows for works to be grouped or split into sub-parts, making use of Muso's "::" Group Sub-Heading feature. This handles (for example) operas quite nicely, except for the performer "issue".
Ideally the Group Heading (and even Sub-heading?) should show all the artists (& performers, composers etc) which are common to all tracks in the (sub)group, with the details at the track level being given if those artists are not on all the other tracks.
I appreciate that this now looks like a feature request, so am repeating it there.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

The way you describe is how I intend to implement it.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

This is now in 2.2.05
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

I just installed version 2.2.05 and it seems that some changes introduced with it affect the way the some basic information is displayed. The performers now show up together and right after the composer(s) with no separation whatsoever. Also performers are repeated time after time even if there was no change in the lineup for that session.
IMO the way this information was displayed in version 2.2.04 was absolutely perfect for non-classical music
Please see the attached image.
version5.jpg
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I'll look into this, thanks. Under 2.2.04 you were happy that the performers were only given credit at album level (if performing on all tracks)? The screenshot doesn't show but does this album have a titled artist?

Would be useful to hear from the OP if the changes have sorted his issues though.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

The album has a titled artist who is also the composer of tracks 1, 2, 4 and 5. I believe that this is why the composer does not show as it should. The artist/composer is quite common in the jazz world.
On 2.2.04 the performers were given credit at Album level or at GroupHeader level if it exists. In my case I use GroupHeader for the recording date. If on the same recording date there were two or more different lineups then I'll add a different tag for each one (Newark, NJ - November 26, 1960 | Set 1, Set 2, etc for example) together with the recording date. This is the way I found to have muso listing all the musicians that play on a given tracks or tracks