Flexible Tag Mapping

Feature requests that have been implemented will be filed here.
RichG

Re: Album release version

Post by RichG »

Look like this:

Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

I'm not sure I like the "Disc 1, Disc 2" idea though it is a great idea to have all the different versions of an album (if they exist) to appear together on the same page.
MDE

Re: Flexible Tag Mapping

Post by MDE »

musoware wrote:I..... I could extend the album view to show custom fields in the header also (when consistent across all tracks), so you'd see Instrument: Piano in the header after the performer - but then there's the question of whether to do the same at track and track group level, and I don't think there's room there.
Have you given this any further thought? The problem with putting "(Piano)" after the artist's name is they then have split entries (unless the suffix is used consistently throughout).
MDE

Post by MDE »

One part of my scheme that is not working is to put nothing in the Album Artist field. I wanted to map a tag "BLANK", containing nothing, to the Album Artist. I don't want to delete Album Artist in the song files as I can use it to display Composer on the player. If I leave it there (as = Composer), Muso doesn't recognise the Album in the Artist's list, even if they are the only Artist for the album. mp3tag doesn't like creating empty tags, but even creating one with Edit-ID Tag seems to have no effect in blanking out the Album Artist field.
EDIT I realise this is not so simple as I thought as in some cases you may want the field to default to the standard one if the custom tag contains nothing. If I really want ALL Album Artists to be deleted, I can select the whole database in the database view and delete it.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I've been thinking of introducing a "Disc Sub-heading" field to Muso's track database, quite often I use the track group heading as illustrated above to simulate this, but I'd prefer the subheading to be put on the Disc line rather than below it. And of course you might want other track group headings within the Disc. This would only have to be input on the first track of the disc.

Similarly I could introduce "Album Sub-heading" to put after the album name (I'd prefer it to be smaller text and a different colour rather than in brackets - add the brackets to the text if you need it), which could be used for release info, and this would only have to be set on the first track of the whole album.

These could be fed from custom tags or just input in Muso. However, to feed either of these new fields from the standard comment tag is not really a custom tag configuration enhancement, it's more of an additional enhancement to allow redirection of standard tags (on id3v2 tags Comment is a COMM standard tag which will not be picked up as a custom tag). I have heard of mp3tag actions but not had a chance to investigate their capability - can they copy a standard comment tag to a custom ALBUMRELEASE tag for instance?
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

Hmmm, so you can't pull the release info from the COMMENT tag (or some other user-defined tag) into muso?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Morbeas wrote:Hmmm, so you can't pull the release info from the COMMENT tag (or some other user-defined tag) into muso?
From a user-defined tag yes, a standard Comment tag in id3v2 is not a user-defined tag though. Muso already pulls this in, but into the Comment field.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I suppose what I'm saying is for Muso to be able to use the standard Comment field in this new feature it's another new requirement, it's not just utilising the existing Custom Tag mechanism.

It could (for example) offer a limited number of post-import steps, such as:
  • Move/Copy Field X into Field Y
So you could ask it to Copy the Comment field to the (new) Album Header field.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

That would be great because I would hate to copy over all my COMMENT tag data to a new tag.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

MDE wrote:One part of my scheme that is not working is to put nothing in the Album Artist field. I wanted to map a tag "BLANK", containing nothing, to the Album Artist. I don't want to delete Album Artist in the song files as I can use it to display Composer on the player. If I leave it there (as = Composer), Muso doesn't recognise the Album in the Artist's list, even if they are the only Artist for the album. mp3tag doesn't like creating empty tags, but even creating one with Edit-ID Tag seems to have no effect in blanking out the Album Artist field.
EDIT I realise this is not so simple as I thought as in some cases you may want the field to default to the standard one if the custom tag contains nothing. If I really want ALL Album Artists to be deleted, I can select the whole database in the database view and delete it.
The custom tag mechanism only kicks in when it finds the custom tag, and finds a value in it. I was thinking of some post-import actions as an additional enhancement which could do what you want though - I'll add that as a new feature request topic.