WOL capabilty

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
DuLac

WOL capabilty

Post by DuLac »

This is a very minor issue but at least for me it would prove quite useful.
My Vortexbox is quite far from my office. Often the VB server enters suspended mode due to idleness. If I then want to restart it I need either to go to another room to switch back to life or send a WOL packet from my computer by means of little piece of free software I have installed. If not very technically demanding it would be quite elegant if I could revive the server from with muso itself. What do you think?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: WOL capabilty

Post by musoware »

I'll look into it, but Muso does all its communication WITH the server, if the server's down there's possibly nothing it can communicate with. What is the free software you have installed, and do you have any more detail of this "WOL packet"?
My VB never enters suspend mode - is that an LMS setting or a VB/Linux setting? I assume you want that to happen but with easy wake-up.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

I will assume that you are not experienced with WOL. If that is not the case please accept my excuses.

Provided one's server is capable of entering suspended mode one can make that happen with SBS by installing the SvrPowerControl plugin. You may find it at https://code.google.com/p/srvrpowerctrl/
After installation the SB front end will show under extras a link to the plugin options with following actions Shutdown Server/Restart Server/Suspend Server/Hibernate Server/Shutdown to SqueezeNetwork/Suspend to SqueezeNetwork/Hibernate to SqueezeNetwork/Restart SqueezeCenter/Block Shutdown/Suspend. Furthermore under the plugin settings one can set it up to automatically enter some of these modes after a given period of inactivity or during certain hours of the day.
The plugin also allows the server to wake up from suspended mode if a standard WOL packet is received. This is quite easily achieved if the packet is sent from within the same network. It is also possible to restore the server from the internet. If interested the link http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/l ... ake-on-wan will give you details of all necessary steps.

One can also wake the server up by pressing the Power button on the Squeezebox remote.

I installed the SvrPowerControl plugin to avoid having the server on 24x7. In my case I have the internet option working but of course it also works in my home network. I do not access SBS from outside my network although this is technically possible. I use Subsonic (http://www.subsonic.org) for that purpose. I have this free package installed together with VB and SBS. The program is capable of streaming music to the Android, iPhone and Windows Phones and to automatically resample the music to a suitable bitrate as per each previously defined user settings.

The free WOL packet sender I referred to may be downloaded at http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

What I may be able to do is to provide a field under Options where you can type in any command (or multiple possibly), in your case to call your MC-WOL executable with whatever parameters it needs, then make muso issue that command if it cannot reach the server or when you use a new button on the toolbar.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Thank you that sounds good but please do give this subject a low priority. As I said this is a very minor issue. I just thought that the capability of waking the server up would provide some added appeal to your great program. I use the Wake On Lan (WOL) because of environment issues but I am aware that on the long term it may not be the best solution for my hard disks health.