Vortexbox 2.3

Discuss Muso, or get help
DuLac

Vortexbox 2.3

Post by DuLac »

Vortexbox launched ver 2.3 yesterday. Is there any problem in updating to this newer version? I am pretty sure it comes with LMS 7.7.3 also.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Vortexbox 2.3

Post by musoware »

I'll try it as soon as LIV supply an OEM release for their Juke, I think it includes LMS 7.8 according to [http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/ge ... 3-released], but I don't anticipate any issues.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

I came across a post on VB forum regarding problems with CLI and VB 2.3. This is it http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/be ... -different
Unfortunately the whole subject means nothing to me. Do you think it is safe to upgrade to VB2.3? I am about to start a fresh install on a new machine and ideally I would use this last release if compatible with muso. Thanks.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Well I can verify that Muso does use the CLI but does NOT use the "apps" and "radios" commands. So it should be OK, and I'm led to believe that there are no database schema changes with LMS 7.8 that can affect the import. However I can't confirm with 100% certainty there will be no issues until I can get my hands on VB 2.3, I'm still waiting on LIV to release it via their OEM - I'll chase them up on when this might be.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I got a reply from LIV. Their advice is not to bother upgrading to VB 2.3 at the moment - it's currently buggy and it's likely to take months to iron these out, without any real advantages other than being more prepared for future upgrades. 2.2 is very stable and works really well.

They gave me some advice on staying on VB 2.2 but upgrading LMS alone to 7.8, so I'll try that and let you know if there are any issues.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

LMS 7.8 seems fine so far, tried some queueing of tracks and an import, but I'll report back after a more intensive session.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Just a little heads up - I've been using the latest LMS 7.9 beta on a Fedora ARM machine for a couple of weeks and it has been working fine with Muso, including scanning.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick to VB 2.2 for the time being. I wanted to upgrade because Fedora 16 and my nVidia graphics card do not get along very well. Since I am soon getting a new machine with an Intel Cedar Trail Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3650 hopefully all will be well on this respect.
Please let me have your views on LMS 7.8 when possible.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Following our exchange of posts above I thought I should report that I have been using VB 2.3 for some 6 weeks or so without any issues minor or major. As far as I can tell this new version that runs on Fedora 20 seems to be 100% stable.