Sleevenotes

Feature requests that have been implemented will be filed here.
MDE

Sleevenotes

Post by MDE »

One of my goals with my music collection is to have an experience which is no less rich than the traditional one of putting on a CD (or vinyl!). The computerisation of everything should add to the experience, not reduce it. Muso has been a major contribution to achieving that goal. Certainly if I have my laptop to hand I want for nothing! However, relaxing in the lounge, I'm far more likely to have my trusty iPod Touch. I have a number of apps on this - Squeezebox controller, iPeng, Squeezecast (if I want to play to it) and Muso. None deals with the issue of sleevenotes completely. In the "old world" I would simply have the CD booklet to hand. Most commonly, the sleevenotes are in the music folder as a pdf file (and most downloads now include this). This works fine on the laptop, where I can just click it on the album page. Would it be possible to also put a link to the pdf file in the header of the album page on the Muso app? (perhaps one to consider after the house move...?).
BTW Hyperion helpfully include the sleevenotes in the lyrics of downloaded albums, which are easily viewable in iPeng.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Sleevenotes

Post by musoware »

You mean add it to the existing remote control app? I think this could be possible, provided iOS can show pdf files in safari.

Does the remote control app still open for you OK from an ipod touch? It's stopped opening for me using the <machinename>.local:<port> address that always used to work, though I can use that from another PC on the network.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Yes - I mean add it to the remote control app - at the top of the screen next to the album art when displaying an album. Safari opens pdfs in a new window, which is fine. The app still works well for me, so I'm not sure what your problem is.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Any further thoughts on this?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

When I can clear some development time, this is close to the top of my list.
- EDIT: had a go at it today, it might not be as trivial as first thought (due to the fact I'm using a "self-hosted" web service rather than a real web server like apache).

NB. I'm aware there are lots of other things to look at in the remote control app too! (all documented elsewhere in these boards)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK made a breakthrough today with adding pdf links to the album page for sleevenotes. Will add it to the next release.
These show OK on an ipod - must get myself an ipad to read them properly!
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

It's in the new release now by the way - let me know what you think.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Sorry about the delay in looking at this. I won't go into all the reasons... The pdf link appears fine (on my iPod) but when I click, it just goes to a rather handsome background of grey canvas without showing the pdf. Other pdfs in Safari work fine, so not sure what the problem is.
MDE

Post by MDE »

I think I've spotted the problem. pdf's called sleevenotes work fine, but those with longer, more meaningful names, don't. I suspect the issue is to do with spaces in the name.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I tried files with spaces in the name and they seem to work fine - spaces are resolved as %20 in the url. Can you spot any other pattern? Perhaps send me one of the pdfs with an issue.