Similar Artist..... ?

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
Viking

Similar Artist..... ?

Post by Viking »

If I choose to listen to an album with "Album Artist" = Various Artists, and jump to the Album Page, Muso list "Similar Atists" as evry album with Album Aritst = Various Artist.....!
Now that is an exaggeration - it would make much more sense to list similar artist by the artist tag and not the Album Artist tag... don't you agree? :-)

Edit: Replace "Similar Artist" with "Same Artist"
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Similar Artist..... ?

Post by musoware »

If you have "Various Artists" in the album artist tag, presumably you have many different artists in the Artist tags for the album. Depending upon the compilation album this could run to dozens of artists - too many to display their other albums possibly. On the album view I think it should either still show other compilations, or suppress the section entirely (EDIT: it already does the latter - how did you get it displaying all other compilations??). For the now playing page I agree it should show other albums from the playing Artist, not the Album Artist tag (EDIT: applying this change for next version).
Viking

Post by Viking »

Excellent - It makes feel very good every time we end up agreeing :-)
Have a nice day Jezbo!
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

It's in the latest.
Viking

Post by Viking »

Oops... still, when I play an album tagged with Album Artist=Various Artists, Muso lists every Various Artist album in my DB (several hundred).
This is not logical. An album with various artist singing love songs is not similar to an album with various artists singing heavy metal.
I think the options are either to dynamically update the "More by this artist" section everytime a new track is played, or use genre as the criteria.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Well that's just it - for compilations I don't get any Similar Artist section displayed - in the code it suppresses this. I wondered how you get it. Do you have "Various Artists" hard-coded as the album artist?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Perhaps a screenshot from you will help. As I said I can't find any compilation album which lists other compilations in the "More by This Artist" section - this whole section is suppressed for compilations, unless you have "Various Artists" hard-coded as the album artist for your hundreds of compilations and have NOT configured this as the name for compilations under Options/Album Collation/Compilations - if you haven't that will most likely fix it. Otherwise Muso cannot distinguish the text string "Various Artists" from any other album artist.
Viking

Post by Viking »

Well, I guess you're right in the sense that the section "By similar Artist" is now gone, while "More by this artist" remains:
Capture.JPG
Neither makes any sence as "Various Artist" is not an artist. So, the only way to make these section useful at all times, is to let the Tag "Artist" control them and not the Tag "Album Artist" as you seem to be doing. This means dynamically update both sections as soon as the "Artist" field of the currently playing (or selected/higlighted) track changes.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Can I see your Options > Album Collation settings?
Viking

Post by Viking »

This one, you mean....?
Capture.JPG