Caron problem

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
MDE

Caron problem

Post by MDE »

Can't understand why, but I suddenly seem to be having trouble with "carons" - the inverted circumflex over the r in Dvorak's name. Some CD's I recently ripped wouldn't play from Muso (in any player). It wouldn't add to the LMS playlist; in Winamp it would add to the playlist, but not play. The caron was in the folder name as well as tags. Removing it solved the problem. Funny thing is I have some I ripped earlier which have the caron in the folder name and they have played fine. Not sure this is a Muso bug, but reporting it just in case.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Caron problem

Post by musoware »

Sorry for the delay in looking at this. One crucial point is whether you import into Muso from a folder scan or from LMS?
MDE

Post by MDE »

Folder scan
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I have found out there is a possible bug in WInamp - if I send a ř in the path it is interpreted as an r!, though an á is interpreted correctly (so Dvořák is interpreted as Dvorák if I look at the path winamp is trying to play).

It's not so easy to test LMS where I am - I'm away from home so would have to install a local LMS.
MDE

Post by MDE »

The original problem was playing via LMS - it would not populate the playlist. I changed the folder name on the server to fix that. The laptop copy still has the old folder name (with the caron) - that plays OK in iTunes, but in Winamp it seems to queue to the playlist OK but will not play. I can open the folder and play it all directly in Winamp without problems.
I have looked at the folder names (with carons) of the Dvorak albums that play OK. It seems that the internal storage in Muso is different. For example, one with folder name "Dvořák; Symphony No. 9; Schubert; Symphony No. 8" is shown in Muso as "DVOK_S~1.8". It plays fine to both LMS and Winamp. I think this may have originally been imported via LMS. Hope there are some clues there.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I'm not sure what I can do to make Winamp play the path - if you check the path in muso (via the db grid) it is correct with the ř in place, but send this to winamp and, though it adds the path to the playlist, it won't play it since you can see when looking at the file info that it's replaced the ř with an r.

DVOK_S~1.8 looks like an old DOS short path which I haven't seen in years, LMS possibly applies this when the path includes any special character (and excludes these from the short path) - I'll check this out soon.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Sounds like it is a good idea to eliminate this character from file names. It gets there because dBpoweramp is set to use the album name in the path name when ripping. I will try listing it as a restricted character and replacing it by "r" in the dBpoweramp options.
EDIT: Have updated the classical tagging wiki page to reflect this.