Upgrade to Fedora 18 - Database Access Trouble

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
RichG

Upgrade to Fedora 18 - Database Access Trouble

Post by RichG »

Morning Jezbo,

This is more of a heads up than a bug report as i've managed to work around it but thought you should be aware as it is likely to become more of an issue in the future, especially if Vortexbox does get its planned upgrade to F18.

Over the past couple of days I did a clean install of Fedora 18 on my server to replace the existing F16 which is a couple of years old and is now out of support. I installed LMS 7.8 (now renamed back to SBS) from the communitysqueeze repository following JackofAlls information here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post738256.

The install all worked fine (after fixing the firewall config) and SBS works very well, except .... Muso could no longer access the SBS database files.

Giving write permissions to the files in the cache folder ('/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache') seemed to fix the problem but on a restart of SBS the permissions were set back to not allowing write and Muso no longer could read them. Seems there has been a change someplace in SBS which is causing this, and I think this may be the issue that ChrisNY was reporting back in December:- http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post729699

After some playing around I managed to find a workaround for this which seems to be persistant and stable.

I've configured Samba on the server to force quest access to the share for the cache folder as user 'squeezeboxserver'. This I did by editing the smb.conf file in /etc/samba to include the following:-

[global]
guest ok = yes

[SBS]
path = /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
guest account = squeezeboxserver
guest only = yes
writeable = yes

With Muso configured to use the share at \\SERVER\SBS for accessing the database it all appears to be working well.....
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade to Fedora 18 - Database Access Trouble

Post by musoware »

Yes that's very similar to the Muso setup guidelines I wrote up on the VortexBox wiki:

http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=SetupMuso

The samba share needs to be writeable even though Muso only ever opens a connection to the database in read-only mode.
RichG

Post by RichG »

I'm confused now (don't take much).

I thought I would check your suggested configuration for samba and it doesn't work (I'm getting "connection failed" "disk i/o error").

So I went back to my previous config, and guess what ..... same problem. If I manually set the permissions on the library.db-shm file then I get access OK, so it appears the samba configuration is not enough after all. Don't know why it appeared to be OK before.

I'll do a bit more digging and get back to you with what I find.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Think I've fixed it ...

The samba user / group for the share needs to be forced by adding:

force user = squeezeboxserver
force group = squeezeboxserver

to the folder share.

I've rebooted the server and Muso and this seems to be working again.

It appears that your suggested config will not work with F18 - samba needs to force guest access to 'squeezeboxserver' otherwise permissions will not allow access.

I'll keep an eye on this over next few days and come back if any more issues showup.

Cheers.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Yes that SetupMuso guide was found to work with the version of VortexBox as of a few months back - upgrades to Fedora OS may affect it.
I'm not sure why you'd want to upgrade VortexBox if it's working flawlessly, I think I'd only try it if it offered some improvements.
RichG

Post by RichG »

I tend to agree. My reasons for upgrading to F18 were not related directly to LMS / SBS. I imagine however that a number of people will upgrade their VBs and their will be new users, so hopefully the above info might help them a little.

I did use VB for a short while myself but was not happy in a number of areas (no sleep / hibernation, firewall is disabled, it calls home, it doesn't conform to the GPL license it's released under, etc.) so moved back to Fedora. So far F18 seems to work very well - SBS seems to respond quicker than before and some issues I was having with drives not sleeping have disappeared - so I'm glad I did the upgrade.