Wow - effect, using DLNA

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
Viking

Wow - effect, using DLNA

Post by Viking »

Hi,
I have this great idea (in my opinion) ;)
I've always wanted to have the album art displayed on my Flat Screen Samsung 55 inch TV, showing the album the currently playing track belong to.
I guess I could get by connecting my computer to the TV using it as a monitor somhow, but no app that I have found will display the album art full screen in sync with playback. Besides, my TV sucks as a playback device for sound.
What if Muso could be told to transmit the albumart to a compatible multimedia device using DLNA (which is supported by most TV-sets).
Wouldn't that be great? :idea:
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Wow - effect, using DLNA

Post by musoware »

I wouldn't know where to start with that, but I can look into it!
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I'm not quite up to speed on what DLNA is capable of, whether muso can "push" the album art to the TV, but I have used my TV to browse pictures on my PC (a "pull") using windows 7 's built in DLNA support. So you could try something out : ensure the DLNA images library covers the following file on your Muso PC:
C:/Users/Public/Music/muso/html/orig.png

Browse to that image from the TV, then focus on the Now Playing page in Muso - does the TV image change as the track changes and Muso refreshes its NP page? If this works it should be easy to have Muso write larger now playing artwork to a configurable location (which can even include artist and track name below or above the album cover). If it doesn't work (ie. you have to refresh the TV's image manually somehow) I'm not sure how Muso can tell the TV to refresh the image.

EDIT: My TV doesn't auto-refresh the image when it changes. I tested it. Other TVs might be different though.
Viking

Post by Viking »

I tested this on my TV as well, and it doesn't update. I think Muso have to be in contol - pushing the image to the TV. I can easily do that from my PC by right-clicking on the orig.png and choose Play-To and then select my TV as the rendering (DLNA) device. I understand that the DLNA concept by designed is to be available as a toolkit for programmers - so I assumed it would be fairly easy to acomplish... :-)
RichG

Post by RichG »

Viking - this is not quite what your looking for as it will require your computer to be connected (perhaps through a second screen output if you have one), but it provides a good "Now Playing" display for LMS:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ot-Display

I used this a lot at one time (before Muso) to show artwork on a telly driven by my PCs HDMI connector. Took a little setting up to get the artwork and text looking right but worth a little effort.
Viking

Post by Viking »

Thanks a lot!
It's encouraging to see the amount of interest on the subject. I will try this - albeit running off a micro-Unbuntu matchbox size computer hidden behind the TV.
But nevertheless, I still think my DLNA idea (or smething equivalent) i a better one. If you did something like this and posted the word in that forum, everyone would flock to Muso :-)