Not importing Band from mp3 file

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
MDE

Not importing Band from mp3 file

Post by MDE »

As discussed elsewhere, I have 2 libraries - a shared FLAC one and a personal MP3 one - which are largely duplicates. I play the MP3 files in iTunes, but import "from specific folder". I had problems with the sensitivity to capitalisation in the MP3 tag imports, which I fixed by an mp3tag action to convert all the fieldnames to a common capitalisation. However, the "Band" tags do not import even though present and correctly spelled in the mp3 file tag. If I set up an import action in Muso to map #Band to Band then it works, but @Band to Band does not.
In the FLAC library it all works fine with no special import action required.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Not importing Band from mp3 file

Post by musoware »

It should import a BAND tag from mp3 files without an import action (an extended tag of "BAND" in mp3tag - my version forces extended tags to be upper-case). If your tag is "Band" with only the first character capitalised, that could be why you need an import action.
MDE

Post by MDE »

You are right. If I change the tag name to BAND it works with no import action. This is odd because, to avoid problems like this, I changed all the tag names to initial capitalisation, which works with the other tags. It seems rather inconsistent. It is only a problem with mp3, not FLAC, which doesn't seem to care about capitals. It's easy enough with mp3tag to change the capitalisation, but I'm not sure if that will work since Muso reads (for example) Composer so may not read COMPOSER. Is this a Muso or mp3 thing? If the latter, is there a standard?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I had thought all capitals was the standard since mp3tag only seems to accepts capitals on the extended tags window (at least on the version I'm running). The squeezebox tags page only has capitals also:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/S ... portedTags
MDE

Post by MDE »

OK, tested that out - Both COMPOSER and Composer are OK, but Band is not, while BAND is.
I'll converts all the tags to caps and hopefully it will all work then!
MDE

Post by MDE »

OK - I changed all the _FIELDNAMES of the iTunes library to upper case using mp3tag. Interestingly, if I look at them with EditID-Tag, the standard tags are all unchanged - ie. Artist not ARTIST but all the custom tags, including BAND are changed. The unchanged ones are:
Artist, Title, Album, Track, Year, Genre, Comment, Album Artist, Album Artist Sort, Artist Sort, Composer, ComposerSort, Conductor, Disc, Encoded by, Encoder Settings, Source, Style

This is important, because if you want to include these in import actions then they need to have the correct capitalisation. @Comment works in import actions, but not #Comment or #COMMENT. However the above list is NOT the same as the tags that are preceded by @ in import actions in Muso. All in all a bit messy and I don't know how much it can be resolved inside Muso.
MDE

Post by MDE »

musoware wrote:It should import a BAND tag from mp3 files without an import action (an extended tag of "BAND" in mp3tag - my version forces extended tags to be upper-case). If your tag is "Band" with only the first character capitalised, that could be why you need an import action.
BTW, mp3tag shows all tag fieldnames as upper case in extended tag mode. If you use Edit ID-tag then you can see which ones are really upper case.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I think that's because Comment in standard id3v2 tags is not a custom/extended tag but a standard COMM tag - therefore an import action using # will not work - whereas for a flac tag it will. @Comment as an import action should work for all tagging schemes if you want to embed the comment into another field.

It is messy agreed, but that's because there's no consistent standard across all filetypes.