Hierarchy improvements

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
MDE

Hierarchy improvements

Post by MDE »

Not sure if this is bug/issue or feature request, but I'll do my best to describe it.
The question is around the treatment of custom field in the hierarchy views.
If I select "Hierarchy->New hierarchy", a dropdown is given that lists all fields including custom fields, which are described by their "Title in Muso" together with "Custom x" in brackets. That's fine. However the list of previously used hierarchies just has "by CUSxx" which means you have to remember which custom fields are which numbers - OK if there are only one or two, but not if you are "maxing out Muso" with 8 as I am! Could we possibly have a consistent approach using the descriptive name?
Also, the expansions within the hierarchical view do not seem to work fully with custom fields. The custom field only seems to work at the "top level" of the hierarchy. If it is at the next level down (e.g. by Composer by Instrument, where Instrument is a custom field), then it is not possible to expand a composer in the hierarchical list. Is this a bug or a feature?
Lastly, I note that, when you are at the bottom level in a hierarchical list, all possible internal fields are given as a further drill-down possibility, but not custom fields (perhaps this is related to the issue above).
MDE

Re: Hierarchy improvements

Post by MDE »

I should add that Custom 1 and Custom 2 appear to work correctly (i.e. as for internal fields) but that the other custom fields do not, so I wonder if there is some limit at play here?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I'll suppress the by CUSxx options if any are persisted - next version.
I've tried by Composer by Instrument (I also have this as a custom field) and I can't find a problem - are you clicking on the arrow next to the composer to expand him? Try double-clicking also.
I'm also seeing custom fields in the last chosen level as a further break-down - but note those in your chosen levels are suppressed.
There's no difference between Custom 1 & 2 and other custom fields, all are treated equally.

To investigate issues I may need a copy of your database file and specific circumstances to look into.
MDE

Post by MDE »

I'll send a database and provide a walk-through.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Have emailed link to database.
In the hierarchy, select the following sequence: Cus10(Picard Stamp)->Composer->Cus04(Instrument)
Then drop down from "Version 0.9.2 of Classical Extras" and then "Johann Sebastian Bach".
I get the following screen:
Composer-Instrument.jpg
As you can see, nothing is listed under the second drop down.

If I create the hierarchy in the opposite order and choose "piano->Johann Sebastian Bach" (just to prove the combination exists!), I get
Instrument-Composer.jpg
Again the last item won't drop down.

Finally, If I create the hierarchy Instrument->Composer-Cus01(Work) you can see that it works:
Inst-Comp-Work.jpg
You may also note that Work gets listed properly in the saved hierarchy (i.e. as work, not CUS01).
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK thanks, got your db file so will look into this as soon as I can. Interestingly if I try to repeat your by Custom by Custom hierarchy it doesn't even expand the first level for me, but that may be because I need more than just your .db file - not sure yet.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

One thing I found that cures the issue with the non-expanding tree is that you have two different custom tags with the title "Lyricist" - if I change one of these to something unique it then seems to behave. I think this non-unique name is causing it to throw exceptions in unpredictable places, you'd probably see lots of errors written to the log. Is there a reason you want two custom tags with the same title?
MDE

Post by MDE »

Ah - that was a work-round for the problem I was having with lyricists (discussed a while back). I don't know why I mapped them to 2 custom fields rather than one. I'll look into it again.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I will work round that issue in code but it's probably better if you don't have two custom fields with the same title unless there's a good reason.