Strategy for dealing with multiple computers

Discuss Muso, or get help
steveoat87

Strategy for dealing with multiple computers

Post by steveoat87 »

I have muso installed on 4 computers. It is very time consuming to make the same change on 4 computers. What is the best way to keep 4 machines in sync which all use the same database
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Strategy for dealing with multiple computers

Post by musoware »

Muso is really a per-machine program, there's no designed capability to share a database simulateously across machines.

Having said that, and I haven't tested this approach, but you could move the Shared Folder Location to a network drive and access the same folder from all computers. It won't properly support simultaneous access though - i.e. one machine writing the database file wouldn't be picked up by another instance running at the same time, and one machine could overwrite changes made by another (eg. dynamic changes like play count and last played).

Another way of doing it is to drive your database entirely from file tags, and use some external tagging tool to edit those tags, then you just read them in to each copy of Muso using the same import actions and custom fields (if you need those).
steveoat87

Post by steveoat87 »

Would it also be possible to move a database from one machine to another -- i.e. copy the database from one machine and import it into another?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

On the Options screen you can see a reference to a shared data folder. Move the contents of this folder to a new computer and it should retain the database, artwork, etc, provided the paths to your files is the same (eg. using a unc path or common drive mapping).
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.68 KiB) Viewed 2876 times