Random Albums

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
oyvindo

Random Albums

Post by oyvindo »

Hi Jezbo,
Allow me to congratulate you on version 2.6.36 which I downloaded today.
Muso has come a long way and is - in my opinion - a perfect companion to my Logitech Media Server which I run in a Docker Container on a QNAP NAS.
I particularly enjoy your full screen view and the edge pop-outs, as well as the screen saver and the Pivot screens (I guess I'm a bit of a GUI animation freak) ;)
I have one question though: How can I get Muso to display a gallery of random albums from my database?
I use Madsonic as a remote player for my library when I travel, and it has a nice default gallery populated with random albums that I like a lot. (I haven't been able to figure out a way to use Muso as a remote player yet).

Another comment (feedback) from me; The Playlist (left side on the main screen) now shows Artist Name followed by a dot and then the track name. Some Bands have long weird names, which makes the track name disappear unless I widen the frame. Doing so "eats" gallery space which is more important to have.
I can see the need for Artist name on compilation CD's or custom playlists, but on whole albums this just becomes a long repetition of information which is already in the Now playing section. I'd also like to see the track number in the playlist.
I'm not quite sure how to suggest a feasible solution that suits all needs, but what about a setting preference where I as the user could choose which fields to include in the playlist (Album, Artist, Track#, Track Name). And perhaps an option to wrap as an alternative to the three dots when it overflows the current width?

Keep up the good work :)
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Muso better than ever!

Post by musoware »

Thanks, some good ideas there, not sure I can wrap entries without a lot of work, but I could look to at least make the display configurable. Moving to feature requests.
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

Thanks, (you overlooked my question about random albums?)
While on the subject of creative feedback; I love the "New Albums" strip on top, but I must say I'm amazed that you choose to "waste" the first space block on the "New Albums ->" including the + and the - buttons for zooming...?
The de facto standard way of accomplishing such a zoom feature is simply to grab the horizontal separator line below and pull it downwards. As the row expands, the thumbnails expand accordingly (I'm sure you know what I mean).
Perhaps there's a perfectly good reason why you choose not to do things the way it is supposed to be done?

Have a perfect Day :-)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Random albums is a reasonable request - I suppose the idea is that you might see some on the first page that you'd forgotten about and it prompts you to giving them a try or playing them again. But how often would you expect it to randomise them? On every refresh, once per startup, or even once per day?

The main reason I show the New Albums label is for consistency, other sections of the toolbar have a heading. My screen can still show 36 new albums, so one or two more isn't going to be that beneficial.
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

Madsonic randomizes the screen every time you launch the program, and every time you refresh the screen. That's all I know, and it works for me :-)

The significance of my other comment was not primarily to save space, but to avoid implementing proprietary ways of performing ordinary tasks.