Sharing Muso data across local network

Discuss Muso, or get help
RichG

Sharing Muso data across local network

Post by RichG »

I am considering having a second instance of Muso installed on my office PC to control my SB Boom and was wondering the best approach for doing this. I don't want to maintain separate databases as I have now done a fair bit of editing to the Muso tags.

Can I share the Muso database files I use on my media PC downstairs (using shortcuts / links) or would I be better to copy the files across after doing updates?

Also, this raises the issue of making backups in case of possible db corruption. Any suggestions again, particularly on what files to backup?

Cheers.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Sharing Muso data across local network

Post by musoware »

Though the facility exists to move the data folder location I wouldn't recommend moving to a networked folder and accessing the same files from two machines - it's not intended to be a multi-user database, there's no locking, and read/write speed would be severely affected even if simultaneous access wasn't attempted.

What I do for testing on another machine is to have a simple filesync template(filesync is a 3rd party file synchroniser - there are lots of these available) which copies across all XML files between C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database (the default database folder on my laptop) and \\192.168.0.22\Users\Public\Music\muso\database (which refers to the equivalent folder on my desktop PC) - filesync knows which one was changed most recently and defaults the copy to the other machine. This works pretty well, though note that it will not synch artwork so this will have to be re-fetched on the second machine for new albums.

The most important files to back up are the XML files in C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database.
RichG

Re: Sharing Muso data across local network

Post by RichG »

Thanks for the info. I suspected that sharing the database directly might not be the best idea. I'm aware of filesync and will have a closer look at it this weekend.

Cheers.