Themes & CSS

Discuss Muso, or get help
DuLac

Themes & CSS

Post by DuLac »

[SPLIT FROM FEATURE REQUESTS THREAD]

If you want to create your own theme you may do that by playing around with a couple of CSS files. However, if you want to check the results of every change made you have to launch muso and check it this way. muso does not seem to have a simple way to access the HMTL so that one could place the code in a specialized editor. I definitely do not want to change the layout myself but I would welcome other people trying to show their creativity this way.
If you want to have access to some HTML code you can do it by clicking Edit Tracks while pressing the Shift Key. I only use Firefox but this action launches IE displaying a web page (file:///C:/Users/Public/Music/muso/html/album.html#).
It is then quite easy to have access to some basic HTML which may help to try and fiddle with the CSSs. I hope this may open the appetite for anyone brave enough to create his/her own theme. ;)
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Was: Image Borders, now Playing with Themes

Post by musoware »

DuLac wrote:If you want to create your own theme you may do that by playing around with a couple of CSS files. However, if you want to check the results of every change made you have to launch muso and check it this way. muso does not seem to have a simple way to access the HMTL so that one could place the code in a specialized editor. I definitely do not want to change the layout myself but I would welcome other people trying to show their creativity this way.
If you want to have access to some HTML code you can do it by clicking Edit Tracks while pressing the Shift Key. I only use Firefox but this action launches IE displaying a web page (file:///C:/Users/Public/Music/muso/html/album.html#).
It is then quite easy to have access to some basic HTML which may help to try and fiddle with the CSSs. I hope this may open the appetite for anyone brave enough to create his/her own theme. ;)
I wasn't aware of this mechanism to load the album html externally in a browser! Careful though, this will only load the skeleton html for the album page, much of the actual content of the page is injected after this skeleton is loaded, so it's not a full representation of the album page. Also beware that the internal CSS is targeted only to IE7, since that is what is always rendered by default in a .NET browser control (it's a Microsoft product), so support for firefox etc isn't required. I do plan to add meta tags to the generated html at some stage so I can get it rendering with the IE9 engine to take advantage of newer CSS3 features - but that's a way off probably (I tried it and the current layout CSS would all have to be changed). There's a short simple walkthrough of creating and editing a theme on the old wiki (this page not yet migrated to the new one):
http://muso.wetpaint.com/page/Managing+Themes

I have taken care to separate the complex layout CSS from the presentation CSS : the layout CSS is not included in a theme but is fixed, so a theme CSS available for editing only extends as far as changing the colours, background images, fonts, borders etc, though some minor layout tweaks can be achieved with margins and padding.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Themes & CSS

Post by musoware »

New feature coming in next version to help with this:

Explore HTML/CSS option under Tools, for those interested in editing themes - allows IE "Developer Tools" to be used to explore HTML for current page, and even to edit CSS to see the effect of changes.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

This feature seems to be exactly what I had in mind when I first brought this topic in. Thank you.
RichG

Post by RichG »

This a great feature - much easier to see whats what now - thanks!