Populate Performer (s) / Soloist (s)

Discuss Muso, or get help
DuLac

Populate Performer (s) / Soloist (s)

Post by DuLac »

I started using muso not so long ago. Prior to this I was using iTunes only for my jazz records collection. Normally I would populate the Comments tag in iTunes with name of the performers.
Now that I am using muso I would like to transfer the information in Comments to the Performer(s)/Soloist(s) tag so that the name of every musician involved shows on top of each page. This would allow muso to report all entries for any given musician both as the leader or a support musician.
a) Is my approach the most correct in view of your experience and what I want to achieve? Alternatively would you recommend something different?
b) Can anyone show me a good piece of software that will allow me to transfer Tags from one label to another with minimum editing from my side?
c)There will always be some (a lot of) editing involved as
i) I usually name each musician and the instrument he/she plays on that track (ie: Bill Evans - p; Scott LaFaro - b; etc) and I will need to remove the reference to the instrument ( in the example ' - p' and ' - b')
ii) Some musicians may not play in all the tracks but ideally I would want him/her/them listed on top of the album page together with all others. To achieve this I will have to edit some entries. Ideally I would open muso DB on Excel which hopefully would simplify my task with its text functions.
Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Luis
MDE

Re: Populate Performer (s) / Soloist (s)

Post by MDE »

Mp3tag is very good at this sort of thing, but it does take a little time to get familiarised with the software, particularly if you need to use "regular expressions" (which it sounds like you may).
EDIT: However, you may find that the simplest solution is to map the comments tag to Performer in the Muso import actions, before you try anything fancier.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Thank you for reply, MDE. I can not find the way to map tags in the Muso import actions. I have 3 columns and a check box. Column 'Title in Muso' is greyed and is not accessible. I am using Muso on top of iTunes.
MDE

Post by MDE »

You need to select Performer as Muso track field and #Comment as the custom tag. The last column is only to give a name to non-Muso fields (i.e. Custom 1 - 10).
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Thank you once again. It is working now. Instead of #Comment I had to use @Comment.