MusicBrainz links

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
MDE

MusicBrainz links

Post by MDE »

Slightly tentative feature request:
I find the last.fm links very good, but what is lacking is a good source of information on the actual recording/release. From what I have seen, MusicBrainz is an excellent source for this. I'm wondering if a linkage with MusicBrainz could be provided? In the short term, perhaps, if the relevant MusicBrainz tags are present on the album, could there be a simple album-level link? I am envisaging that Muso might read the MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASE_ID tag (for example, this one for the Sitkovetsky recording of Mendelssohn's piano trios: 6ecf3860-eb14-47ca-933a-7904a2ac47f4) and link to (in this case) http://musicbrainz.org/release/6ecf3860 ... 04a2ac47f4. As well as being interesting, it could also help in identifying/resolving metadata issues. Any thoughts? (BTW saw Sitkovetsky Trio live last week - truly excellent).
musoware
Site Admin

Re: MusicBrainz links

Post by musoware »

I'll look into that - added to my todo list.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I can't see MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASE_ID listed here: https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

An initial look at this has me somewhat confused.

The docs here: https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/tags/#basic_tags suggest these are the tags supported:
musicbrainz_trackid
musicbrainz_releasetrackid
musicbrainz_artistid
musicbrainz_albumid
musicbrainz_albumartistid
musicbrainz_discid

Though there are 3 additional tags listed here: https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/ :
MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID
MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASETRACKID
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID
MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASEGROUPID
MUSICBRAINZ_WORKID
MUSICBRAINZ_TRMID
MUSICBRAINZ_DISCID

But on actually using Picard to search for & save tags I'm seeing these tags written, as seen my mp3tag (with spaces rather than underscores, except in the case of the last):
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM RELEASE COUNTRY
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM STATUS
MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE
MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID
MUSICBRAINZ RELEASE GROUP ID
MUSICBRAINZ RELEASE TRACK ID
MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID

I do not see the tag ID asked for anywhere:
MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASE_ID

What's also odd is that the tag MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID written by Picard is not visible in dbpoweramp tagger (or my tag reader), but is in mp3tag.

NB. Muso currently cannot read tags that include underscore OR space using its import actions (into custom fields) - a fix for undescore support is easy (it's ready to go with the next release) but support for spaces is more difficult as I need a way to determine where an extended tag ID begins and ends in the import action format value, so the # prefix mechanism Muso uses would be insufficient. I understand that Muso will probably need new fields specific to musicbrainz if it needs to integrate with it properly, but the import actions are a way to test the reading of the musicbrainz tags before I take the full plunge.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Ah. The tag I gave you may be specific to Jaikoz/songkong. Will look into it and revert.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Sorry - the correct tag is MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID - see https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/ MusicBrainz Release Id is the internal name ( and technically more accurate)
There is also MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASEGROUPID (which often just links to one release), MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASETRACKID and MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID, as well as various other work & artist links. I think MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID is the most useful one.
Inspecting the tags in Edit ID-Tag shows it with the underscore as does my copy of mp3tag - see below:
MusicBrainz tags.jpg
(ignore some of the other tags - this was just done to demo the MB tags)
and this is what the link gives you:
MBpage.jpg
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Picard seems to tag musicbrainz with underscores for .flac files, but with spaces for .mp3 files. Plus the Track ID isn't written properly to the .mp3 file as mentioned before (it's shown in Picard for both these files).
Capture.PNG
At least the musicbrainz mappings page explains the difference in the Tag IDs, so is something I can work with. I'll probably just target the album link in the first instance, plus maybe the track link(s).
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I've got something for you to try in 2.6.19
MDE

Post by MDE »

That's brilliant! What a star you are. Not only can one look up the detailed disc info, but also simply fix issues via Picard! (assuming the album is on MusicBrainz, but it is the most comprehensive source, I think).
The main trouble with Picard/MusicBrainz tags for classical music is the outdated style guide that insists on the artist being the composer. A tagging script is therefore required to fix this. Also, no structure is given to the Work information. The SongKong/Jaikoz developer has some excellent solutions to both these problems, but it may still need an extra script to make it fit to Muso - I'm on the case here and will report back on progress.