Finding all files that re no longer valid

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
RichG

Finding all files that re no longer valid

Post by RichG »

Hi Jez,

Been meaning to ask about this for a while....

I quite often move album folders around or sometimes rename folders - for instance when I get an new album I often place its folder in a "new rip" directory until I decide what genre I'm going to file it as. When I rescan my library after doing any file management like this I end up with two references to the album in Muso which I then need trim by removing tracks in the database.

The highlighting of songs that are "file not accessible" definitely helps in this - but it would be made a lot easier if there was a filter or other function which found all such files.

Is this possible?

Thanks

BTW - I'm enjoying the the 2.5 beta very much will post some comments on it soon.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Finding all files that re no longer valid

Post by musoware »

If you move the album's containing folder but don't change that folder's name, then scan the new folder location, Muso will recognise that the album has moved location and will simply point it at the new location, so this will retain any album data that is specific to Muso.

If however you do change the album folder's name, then import the new folder, Muso won't automatically know it's the same album as before, so then you'll get dead tracks as you've mentioned. A filter on the db view would take a LONG time to run, as evaluating network locations for file existence is a slow process, so it's probably quicker to handle dead album removal manually.
RichG

Post by RichG »

If you move the album's containing folder but don't change that folder's name, then scan the new folder location, Muso will recognise that the album has moved location and will simply point it at the new location, so this will retain any album data that is specific to Muso.

That doesn't appear to be the case. I move albums without changing the directory name only the location and end up with duplicates in Muso.

I did wonder if these changes should be picked-up - I'll do some tests to make sure I'm seeing this correctly.
A filter on the db view would take a LONG time to run, as evaluating network locations for file existence is a slow process, so it's probably quicker to handle dead album removal manually.

I feared this might be a slow process, especially with big libraries.
RichG

Post by RichG »

I've run a quick test moving one folder without changing any names or anything else. Re-scanned in LMS and then did a 'full import from LMS' in Muso.

The album concerned is showing as twice:
Muso_FileDupes.JPG

I'm pretty sure if I make any data/tag changes within Muso and then move the albums folder, the new Muso entry takes the old data with it ?!? A bit odd.
RichG

Post by RichG »

The log shows the album being 'added':
Muso_ImportLog.JPG
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Ah now you mention it I've unwittingly included a change to the album keys in 2.5 Beta that means this folder migration no longer works. I'll try to address this tonight.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Great - thanks.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Should be there now. So just running the app should pick it up (I've found that it normally picks up the fact that an upgrade is required after a couple of startups).
RichG

Post by RichG »

Yeah - all seems good now. That's a big help, thanks.