Classical Music Tagging

Discuss Muso, or get help
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Classical Music Tagging

Post by musoware »

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this Mark. I'll give it a good read when I have some time.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Some minor revisions made and site moved to http://music.highmossergate.co.uk/index.php
As far as I am aware it all works fairly well. Just a few minor issues:

1. I have used round brackets to add role attributes. However, I note that there are two composers in the roster with brackets - Johann Strauss (jr) and Johann Strauss (sr). If these names are used in tags then the lookup will presumably just look for "Johann Strauss". Not sure what is best. The generally accepted usage is Johann Strauss I and Johann Strauss II - the disadvantage of this is that, while the Muso sort will work fine, as it uses the roster, any sorts outside Muso (e.g. LMS/iTunes) will not work unless hyphenated - i.e. "Johann Strauss-I". For me it is all a bit academic as, eclectic though my musical taste is, I am not into Viennese waltzes ;)

2. Muso has a habit of adding initial capitalisation to artist/composer names. Thus a composer tag "Ludwig van Beethoven" is shown as "Ludwig Van Beethoven". I can live with that if it is just a foible of the display format. However, if you export the tags, it will write "Van" into all the FLAC tags, which I really am not so keen on. I assume that there is something in Muso that overrides capitalisation, since words like "de" and "von" are not affected - could we add "van" to that list?

3. I note that the duplication of GroupHeadings in the Remote Now Playing screen has now been removed, but it is present in the desktop Now Playing screen. I didn't really notice this before as I did a custom import into Title which eliminated it. In the new scheme I have attempted to reduce the custom imports; also I have suggested a really simple approach that uses no custom imports and uses Muso as the tag editor, so the duplication is more of an issue. (Note: the reason it is an issue with the simple approach is that it will happen when there is a "GroupHeading" tag in the underlying file - which can occur if the user has created it or if it has been exported from Muso).

I plan to post information about this scheme on forums.slimdevices and maybe on other forums (fora?) too, but the website asks for any comments to be posted to this forum. Any comments before I do this?
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

re your #2. This is just an example. There is a very renowned American composer called Jimmy Van Heusen. His name is always listed with a capital V. Possibly it is very wrong in German or Dutch. However, in the US (and in all jazz world in general) that is the correct way to write his name. I guess that means that the list of words not to be capitalized should be made editable by the user.
MDE

Post by MDE »

..or just use the tags as they are (maybe correcting composers to match the roster) without changing the user's capitalisation?
MDE

Post by MDE »

Just bumping this to see if there are any further comments. Otherwise I'll post it on the squeezebox ("slimdevices") forum for further discussion.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Thanks Mark - please do post it on the squeezebox forum for a wider audience.

I'll review Muso's use of auto-capitalisation for artist names - as you suggested it should respect whataver case has been input. I think the only reason it does this is because the composer roster contains surnames in upper case and it changes the case for presentation purposes - so I'll review whether it has to.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Further to the above auto-capitalisation issue, I think I'm right in saying that it will only change the case of Composer attributes where the composer name is also in the classical composer roster. I've tried adding "Jimmy van Heusen" as a composer to a Jazz album and it does respect this case as input, and I don't think ever affects the Artist attribute - but I'd be very interested to see examples where this isn't the case (ha!).
MDE

Post by MDE »

I think you are right - I certainly haven't come across any other. I tried Hildegard von Bingen. She is in the Composer Roster as HILDEGARD of BINGEN. The von was not capitalised. I then entered Hildegard von BINGEN in the composer roster and edited the track to pick it up. Lo and behold now she is Hidegard Von Bingen. Now I'm stuck! I can't delete the new entry from the roster.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Don't worry I'm fixing that issue in the next version.
To delete an entry in the composer roster just highlight it then use the Delete key.