Composer collation

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
MDE

Composer collation

Post by MDE »

I've been making great progress with my plugin for Picard, such that I can now supply a rich set of metadata from MusicBrainz, customised to Muso's capabilities. However, one or two wrinkles remain, mostly around multiple tags. The issue with Muso not putting a space after semicolons, reported earlier, still exists and there are some issues with multiple composer tags. See, for example, tracks 5 and 6 of disc 2 on the following album:
Album.jpg
Track 6 is actually arranged by Stephen Hough, not Alexander Siloti, and the database (see below) has it correct, but it is not being displayed that way. Any ideas?
Database.jpg
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Composer collation

Post by musoware »

It's because they are grouped, and it perhaps wrongly assumes that a group has common composer(s) - I'll take a look.
Where is the issue logged about the space and semi-colons? That rings a bell but I can't find the thread.
MDE

Post by MDE »

The common grouping is just coincidence, in that they are both arrangements of the same work. Normally this would not happen, although other works such as Mozart’s Requiem may suffer from the same issue. I recall some discussion of this a while back. Re the semi-colon issue: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=460
MDE

Post by MDE »

Just re-reading the earlier posts, it looks like the semi-colon issue should have been fixed, so I'll try look into it a bit more. The multi-composer issue was still open, though I think - see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=458
MDE

Post by MDE »

Odd - I had re-imported the multi tracks and the semicolons had no spaces after them, so I re-imported again (with no changes to the underlying metadata) and this time they were OK.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Any more thoughts re the composer problem?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I think in your specific case the artist field is messing things up for this classical album - if you put the artists in the proper fields for composer, ensemble nd performer I think it will behave
MDE

Post by MDE »

Sorry - not quite sure what you mean by
the artist field is messing things up for this classical album
The metadata for Disc 2, Tracks 5 and 6 is:
Groupheading (both tracks): "Piano Concerto no. 2 in G major, op. 44"
Title - track 5: "Arrangement: II. Andante non troppo"
Title - track 6: "II. Andante non troppo"
Artist (both tracks): "Stephen Hough; Minnesota Orchestra; Osmo Vänskä"
Ensemble (both tracks): "Minnesota Orchestra"
Conductor (both tracks): "Osmo Vänskä"
Performer - track 5: "Stephen Hough (piano); Kyu-Young Kim (violin); Anthony Ross (cello)"
Performer - track 6: "Jorja Fleezanis (violin); Stephen Hough (piano); Anthony Ross (cello)"
Composer - track 5: "Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky; Alexander Siloti (arr.)"
Composer - track 6: "Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky; Stephen Hough (arr.)"
Could you say what the "proper" field contents should be? I tried deleting the artist field, but that had no effect.
I thought the problem was caused by the tracks having the same groupheading, but different composers.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK I couldn't see from the database screenshot that you'd populated performer, conductor & ensemble too.

I think though if you used the artist field only for the orchestrator and put only the main composer in the composer field it would then behave.
MDE

Post by MDE »

I think though if you used the artist field only for the orchestrator and put only the main composer in the composer field it would then behave.
That doesn't work either - see below:
Album2.jpg
This has the following:
Composer for both tracks: "Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky"
Artist for Disc 2 track 5 : "Alexander Siloti (arr.)"
Artist for Disc 2 track 6 : "Stephen Hough (arr.)"

In any case, putting the arranger in the artist field is surely wrong?
It would be better (I think!) if Muso could cope with different composers for tracks in the same groupheading as this does occur in the real world - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical ... laboration as discussed previously at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=458.