Multiple genres and classical type

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
MDE

Multiple genres and classical type

Post by MDE »

I have started added multiple genres to my tags. Unfortunately, I find that Muso selects (according to some method - is it the last in the list?) just one of the genres to display for the album as a whole and compares that to the "classical" genres list to determine if the album is classical. This means that even if the album is tagged with a classical genre, if any one of the genres is not in the classical list, there is a risk it will be wrongly classified. E.g. I am including instrument type in the genre list and clearly, say, "piano" could be either classical or not so I don't want to include it in the classical list. Even if the genre "classical" (which is in the list) is included, the album is treated as "piano" and not shown as classical.
Hope that makes sense!
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Multiple genres and classical type

Post by musoware »

An album cannot be classified as both classical and non-classical - all genres across the tracks will be shown in the album's genre list but it will only appear in either the classical or non-classical views, I may review that some time, but I seem to remember encountering problems trying to do this before.

Whether or not the album is classified as classical depends upon whether the "main" genre for the album is in the classical genres list. The main genre is the one listed first in the album's genres, and is deduced as the one that appears most often across all the tracks. If there is a tie (eg. you have "Piano; Classical" for every track) it takes whatever genre it has encountered first as the main genre, so Piano in this case (i.e. will classify this as non-classical). I could change this so if there's a tie it gives any classical genre precedence as the main genre, though the way it is now does give you an element of control which it is classified as.
MDE

Post by MDE »

OK. On one album Piano and Classical are in the genre tag for all tracks. I've tried putting Classical at the beginning of the list and at the end of the list. Either way up, Muso chooses Piano in preference. Could it at least pick the first in the list if there is a tie?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I thought it did, can you show me your genre tags for the album in db edit view?
MDE

Post by MDE »

Here's the database view
db.jpg
As you can see, Classical is first in the list (as it is when viewed in a tagging app).
But the album view has other ideas -
album.jpg
:?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Yeah that's odd, it should take the first as the main genre and base whether classical or not on that - I'll check it out.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK found it - fix is in 2.6.37
MDE

Post by MDE »

Thanks. I'm trying to get the new version, but the "automatic" version updating isn't kicking in. Is there a way to force the update?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

MDE wrote:Thanks. I'm trying to get the new version, but the "automatic" version updating isn't kicking in. Is there a way to force the update?
Stop & start it again. It recognises that there is a new version only on startup and marks it for upgrade on the next restart.
MDE

Post by MDE »

musoware wrote:Stop & start it again. It recognises that there is a new version only on startup and marks it for upgrade on the next restart.
That's what I have been doing (many times). It usually gets the upgrade on the 2nd or 3rd attempt if not 1st time - but not today.