Russian composer names

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
MDE

Russian composer names

Post by MDE »

Not really a bug (I think), but something rather odd that I don't understand, which may morph into a feature request.
I have the following album:
Image1.jpg
That looks fine. All the metadata has been brought in from MusicBrainz via my Picard plugin (to be released shortly). The only odd thing is that the composer metadata is Dmitri Dmitrievich Shostakovich, not just "Dmitri Shostakovich" as shown in the album title. (In fact the latter is what I want, as it is consistent with LastFM, but MusicBrainz/Picard has an unresolved issue preventing this). As you can see from the "edit tracks" screen, the full name is in the database:
Image2.jpg
I checked the import log as well which showed composer=Dmitri Dmitrievich Shostakovich. I refreshed the screen, but no effect. I suspect if I go into edit tracks and click "apply", it might change, but I'm happy as it is!
For other albums, e.g. by Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev, the full name is given in the album title.
It may be a bug and therefore not replicable, but what I would actually like is to be able to map variants of composers' names onto a "canonical" name and achieve exactly the result in the first screen!
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Russian composer names

Post by musoware »

Is the shortened name in the Album Artist field?
MDE

Post by MDE »

That's a thought. I'm away from home for a couple of days so will check on return. The album artist field is normally blanked by my Picard plugin, but it might have got filled on this occasion.
MDE

Post by MDE »

As I thought, the album artist was blank. But on restarting Muso, the full name (with patronym) was displayed. So no lasting bug, but there is still a feature request lurking here. I'll finish the Picard plugin first, before thinking about Muso, as that gets almost everything "right", including composer names (other than the Russians - which I may be able hack a fix for).
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I don't quite understand how Muso would strip the middle name, it should respect whetever you have put in the composer tags, unless overridden by album artist. Strange.
MDE

Post by MDE »

I suspect it is because there is an m4a album with the short name as well as the FLAC one with the long name. The m4a albums are only supposed to be in the personal database, not the shared database with the FLAC files - I don't know how they got there! I exclude them from the view when I use the shared database. You can see from the pics in the OP that it was definitely the FLAC file and that is the one that matches the edit screen. Interestingly (?) after rebooting, the edit screen showed nothing - I had to restart again to get it to display.