Lost the plot?

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
MDE

Lost the plot?

Post by MDE »

Just getting back into adding more to my library after a bit of a gap. Slight change to my classical music tagging regime for iTunes' benefit (see separate post). Otherwise no changes, but I did do a re-import from music folders. Now my nice little scheme seems slightly messed up - the work name is repeated in the title on each album page. Previously, the display did not repeat the work name where that had been set as a group header (separated by a colon from the rest of the title). Did something change or am I going daft?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Lost the plot?

Post by musoware »

I cannot recall your exact configuration, could you remind me of your import actions and how you have set up your tags prior to importing into Muso? And a screenshot of the issue please.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Of course. All the detail is at http://music.highmossergate.co.uk/. The screenshots at http://music.highmossergate.co.uk/screenshots.php show how it looked before. The image below shows how it looks now.
RoS.jpg
The import actions are as described at http://music.highmossergate.co.uk/bells-whistles.php - particularly the "resources" tab, most particularly:
Artist := #MAINPERFORMERINST
Custom1:= #INSTRUMENT Title in Muso = Instrument (To allow browsing by this)
Custom2:= #PERIOD Title in Muso = Period (To allow browsing by this)
Custom10:= v2017 Title in Muso = ImportVersion (To flag the import mappings version used and also so that Mp3tag knows when a track has tags exported from Muso).
The Groupheading should be fed from a GROUPHEADING tag (not changed).
See also "Work and GroupHeading" on the tagging details tab.
Also see the comments in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94&start=40
The comment on that page reproduced below may be relevant?
"3. I note that the duplication of GroupHeadings in the Remote Now Playing screen has now been removed, but it is present in the desktop Now Playing screen. I didn't really notice this before as I did a custom import into Title which eliminated it. In the new scheme I have attempted to reduce the custom imports; also I have suggested a really simple approach that uses no custom imports and uses Muso as the tag editor, so the duplication is more of an issue. (Note: the reason it is an issue with the simple approach is that it will happen when there is a "GroupHeading" tag in the underlying file - which can occur if the user has created it or if it has been exported from Muso)."
Thanks
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Can you show me the database view after hitting "Edit Tracks"? It looks like your group headings are now feeding the track name rather than the group heading field. A shot of your import actions would also be useful (cannot see it on your site), plus the track tags (eg. in mp3tag) as they are at the point you import into Muso. I cannot digest your entire solution so can we distill it down to these simple points?
MDE

Post by MDE »

It is slightly more complicated than I thought at first. After I re-imported the files, I was looking at the gallery sorted by date added. In investigating further, I changed the sort order to album and realised that all the albums are duplicated. The original album details are still there and correct (but I didn't see them at first, because they were on the back pages in the date-added sort order). The albums with the wrong details are all shown as being m4a, not FLAC. See screenshot below - one copy is m4a and the other is FLAC.
Duplicates.jpg
I have two libraries - a "personal database" stored on the local machine as m4a which I use as my portable database and to populate iTunes - and a "shared database" stored on a server which is all FLAC. The "music folder" in "music sources" is the shared folder on the server.
What I did was this. I deleted and re-imported the personal database ("from specific folder") after I created the new version with iTunes classical tags (see other post). Then I re-tagged the shared library and re-imported it "from Music folders" (can't remember if I did quick or deep scan).
So I seem to have two problems:
1. The personal database appears to have been imported into the shared database
2. The albums which are in m4a format are not displaying properly (in either database). The import actions for both databases are the same and the relevant tags are identical too. The import actions are exactly what I described above, namely
Import.jpg
The tags are shown side-by-side in Edit ID-tag below (for track 1)
Tags.jpg
So this led me to wondering if the FLAC file tags were actually re-imported at all and that is why they still look OK, or whether it was just an issue with m4a tags.
To investigated this, I deleted the FLAC file from the database and re-imported it. The re-import worked fine - i.e. the result is as shown on http://music.highmossergate.co.uk/screenshots.php
I also went to the personal database to delete and re-import the m4a file - still not showing the groupheadings etc.
So the main puzzle seems to be why the import works with the FLAC tags but not the m4a tags. BTW, you will also notice that the album name has been truncated at the semi-colon.
The subsidiary puzzle is how the personal database got into the shared database and how to fix that.
MDE

Post by MDE »

BTW, this is how the m4a file now appears in iTunes:
RoS - iTunes.jpg
MDE

Post by MDE »

Definitely seems to be a m4a problem. If I convert the FLAC files to mp3 rather than m4a then all the groupheadings work fine. If I then convert the mp3 file to m4a, the groupheadings (and many other tags too, including artist) are lost - all I get are title, album, genre and year.
I didn't get this problem before because I was using FLAC for the shared database and mp3 for the personal database. I moved over to m4a to take advantage of the new iTunes tags.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Can you show me the database view after hitting "Edit Tracks" (showing track name, group heading ,artist and album name)? And all the tags in a tag editorfor the .m4a file prior to import.
MDE

Post by MDE »

The m4a tags are those on the rhs of the pair of tag listings in the earlier post (the FLAC tags are on the left). As per the last post, the edit tracks for the m4a album just shows the bare minimum. This is pictured below:
RoS-bad edit tracks.jpg
Compare this with the import from the FLAC tags:
RoS-good edit tracks.jpg
The mp3 tag import is similar to the FLAC one.
(Note the lack of genre tags is my fault)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

So basically GroupHeading is not coming through for .m4a files. Will investigate.