MUSO 2.6 cannot be "killed"

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
jazzfan

MUSO 2.6 cannot be "killed"

Post by jazzfan »

Okay here's what happened:

Background info: the instance of MUSO 2.6 described below is running an Acer Aspire laptop, which is running a 64 bit version of Windows 10

I added some music to my LMS music library and did a successful rescan, I then tried to do a full import of LMS and which time MUSO completely hung up, as in it became totally unresponsive. I tried to end MUSO using Windows Task Manager and Task Manager could not kill/end MUSO, instead giving me the dreaded "Access denied" message.

I completely powered off the computer and then rebooted Windows. I ran Task Manager and MUSO was/is still running but only visible by looking under the "Details" tab in Task Manager. Please note: Task Manager is being "Run as Administrator"

After doing a Google search about how to kill a process I downloaded Process Explorer and even with Process Explorer being run as an administrator, the MUSO process cannot be killed, as in the dreaded "Access denied" message keeps on appearing.

I cannot generate a log file since I cannot restart MUSO (trying to restart MUSO only returns the "MUSO is already running" message).

It has now been over two weeks and several reboots that MUSO has been sitting in the "Details" tab of Task Manager, usually using anywhere from 16k to 32k of private memory.

What other processes and services does MUSO use? Should I stop LMS and then reboot? Should I turn off my router (i.e. wireless network) and then reboot?

I am at my wit's end so please tell me how to kill and restart MUSO, (or is Roon in my future?)
musoware
Site Admin

Re: MUSO 2.6 cannot be "killed"

Post by musoware »

Are you sure you didn't sleep or hibernate rather than shutdown? I don't see how Muso can still be running after a full shutdown & reboot, unless you configured it in windows to auto-start. If so turn that off & reboot and it should be gone. Then we can see if this happens again.
jazzfan

Post by jazzfan »

MUSO is NOT set to auto start or to run at start up and I have verified this using Task Manager.

The computer has been fully shut down and not set to either sleep or hibernate.

I am more than capable of solving most PC issues but this one has me stumped, which why I'm asking you.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I couldn't know the level of your computer competence so I had to ask, sorry. But still, I can't see how a stuck process can survive a full reboot.
jazzfan

Post by jazzfan »

I'm guessing that since the computer is a laptop for some reason the battery is not fully disconnecting when the computer is powered off. Unfortunately on this machine the battery is not that easy to remove and requires disassembling the computer, which I am not prepared to do.

I have left the computer powered off overnight several times and still MUSO returns when the computer is rebooted.

The one thing I don't want to happen is for the computer manufacturer to blame MUSOs behavior on the software (MUSO) and for MUSO to blame the behavior on the computer and for me to get left with no solution. I had a problem with one of my external hard drives and that is exactly the "answer" I received - the hard drive manufacturer blames the computer manufacturer and the computer manufacturer blames the hard drive and I get screwed.

Just for the record, I have a lifetime license for MUSO.
jazzfan

Post by jazzfan »

UPDATE:

Well I was finally able to "kill" the MUSO process! Here is what I did:

1) I completely powered off the laptop on which MUSO could not be killed

2) I completely powered off the computer on which LMS runs, in other words LMS was shut down and not running

3) I completely powered off the router, in others words the local network that LMS runs on was shut down and not working

4) I powered back on the laptop and verified that the MUSO process was not running.

5) I restored my local network and rebooted the computer that runs LMS.

6) The local network and LMS are now running

7) I restarted MUSO on the laptop and MUSO 2.6.12 is now up and running.

8) MUSO is now in the process of doing a full import

From all of the above I would guess that there is some handle (it may be called something else, so please excuse my limited knowledge since i am not a programmer) within MUSO that links it too either LMS or the network or to both and therefore does not allow the process to terminate even after a complete shut down. I hope that this information gives you enough information to try and resolve this issue in a future version of MUSO.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Thanks for all that info, but as a computer techie I still cannot see how a rogue process can survive a full reboot (without it being restarted by something external to Muso, eg. windows startup, or being configured to start as a service). Therefore I can't think of anything I can do, programming-wise, to address this potential issue.

After a bit of googling I found a Windows 10 (also in 8) feature called "Fast Startup", or "Hybrid Shutdown" where a shutdown is actually doing a form of hibernate instead of a full shutdown. Maybe that's what is happening here:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/418 ... -10-a.html
jazzfan

Post by jazzfan »

Thanks! I changed the power setting so that "Fast startup" is now disabled, since the computer boots from a SSD I don't think that this will have much of an impact. I will let you know how things work out next time the MUSO hangs and I need to reboot.