Now Playing page is stuck - LMS/Chromecast

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
oyvindo

Now Playing page is stuck - LMS/Chromecast

Post by oyvindo »

Sometimes (all too often), Muso's Now Playing screen gets stuck and refuses to update, even if I clear the playslist, select a new album, press play, and the playlist populates correctly and Muso starts playback of the correct track, but the Now Playing page (as well as the smaller Now Playing frame in the gallery view) is still stuck on an album that I played some time ago.

I'm not sure what causes this to happen now and then, but I suspect it has to do with the use of the back and next buttons (browser control). At least that when it seems Muso gets completely lost in space....
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Now Playing page is stuck

Post by musoware »

The now playing info in the left panel (if that's what you mean by the "frame") is not impacted by the browser forward/back history, so I don't think it can be that. It may be that Muso is losing touch with the player - which player is it? HQPlayer? LMS device?
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

It's LMS.
The strange thing is that I can change album and play any song or full albums. Playback itself works as normal, including volume, and next/previous track, but the "Now Playing" is completely frozen. If I quit and restart Muso, it picks up correctly again.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

The playing, volume changing, track transitions are all PUSH actions from Muso to LMS - these are generally very reliable. There is a separate subscribe process which RECEIVES info from LMS (it's the responsibility of LMS to emit events when things change), and this is what the Now Playing info relies upon. I have noticed that sometimes (though very rare for me) LMS simply stops emitting the events, rather than dropping the connection (which Muso could detect), and in this case Muso just doesn't know that this has happened. I suppose I could force a reconnection every minute if nothing is coming back, but in the mean-time when you notice this try re-selecting the player from the list, this should manually force a re-connection.
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

I see - thanks for sharing this info....
Allow me to ask; This way of "handshaking" with LMS, does it differ from the way every other player "handshakes" with LMS? I mean, since no other player I have ever tried ever seemed to have had similar issues...?
(next time it happens. I will try to re-selecting the player - just to let you know)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

What other players do you mean? Muso uses the LMS CLI (command line interface) - which you can find info on on the web interface (Help > Technical Information > The Logitech Media Server Command Line Interface). I don't know what other players use but they could employ a lower-level interface.

If you're technically minded you can do the same in a separate telnet session, using a telnet client like Putty:
Capture1.PNG
Then in the session window type in the command
status - 1 subscribe:0

And then you should see subscribed events being emitted back by LMS when things change.
Capture2.PNG
(the data is encoded so is a bit difficult to work out)

It would be interesting to see if this stops receiving events at the same time Muso does - if so it's the fault of LMS.
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

musoware wrote:What other players do you mean?
All the other players I have tried. I have yet to try another player which were capable of successfully playing new songs, tracks and/or whole albums, while at the same time unable to show what is being played. I could understand the odd hickup now and then, but persistently unable until restarted? And why would restarting Muso make LMS begin to respond again? Is it possible to run two instances of Muso simultaneously just to see if one makes while the other breaks? If so, that would at least definitely rule out an LMS issue, right?
musoware wrote:I don't know what other players use .....
Neither do I...
musoware wrote:If you're technically minded you can do the same in a separate telnet session, using a telnet client like Putty
(I am somewhat technically minded) But I didn't know it was possible to Putty into any other port than 22 :shock:
And if I overtake port 9090 (using Putty) won't that prevent Muso from using it, or can LMS sustain parallel connections?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I just wanted you to name other players so I could investigate what they do.

No if you attach to port 9090 it won't prevent Muso doing so as well, they will be separate telnet sessions.
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

Well, first and foremost, all our Android and iOS controller/Player Apps.
Secondly, MonkeySqueeze (a plugin for MediaMonkey), xSqueeze (a Plugin for KODI), Squeezeplay (a stand alone windows player/controller), SoftSqueeze (another windows player/controller).
Pure players, in my case - is mostly HW units; Original Logitech devices, and Google ChromeCast of various models, plus a nuber of SqueezeLite instances.
That's about it - what I use.

Muso just had another hickup and I invoked the Putty 9090 CLI as instructed by you.
This is what I got:

This is what I did:
1. I noticed that after selecting a new album, rightclicking on the album art and choose play, the first track began playing, but the 'Now Playing' window was not being updated.
2. I opened the Putty session (RAW) and typed the command. The result was the first block of data you can see in the window above.
3. Pressing Pause, and playback stopped. Nothing from LMS CLI. Pressing Play and the track resumed playback. Nothing from LMS CLI. Pressed 'Next Track. and playback skipped to the next track. Nothing from LMS CLI.
4. So I typed the command again (This time with a small typo - as you can see. The same block of data reappeared. Nothing more. nothing less.
5. Then I stopped playback, cleared the playlist and queued another album. It began playing correctly, but the 'Now Playing' info remains 'dead' and the Putty window remains silent.
6. Then I reselected the same player. Nothing happens. It continues to play as it should. The 'Now Playing' does not update.
7. Then I selected another player, and the playlist as well as the 'Now Playing' frames were correctly updated with that players list, and I played a few tracks just to make sure. Still nothing in the Putty CLI window.
8. Then I selected the first player again, and now the 'Now Playing' frames were updated correctly.
9. I then typed the command again in the Putty CLI window, and just the same block of data reappeared.

As you said, I have no Idea what that CLI data means, but it sure doesn't look like what you had, and it appeared pretty lame to me.....
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

You'll notice that the status subscribe page reports what player it is monitoring, I'm not sure how it chooses a default, but is Terasse the one you were making changes on?

When did these hiccups start happening? I haven't noticed any LMS comms issues in ages, and thought it was rock solid now. Have you made any network changes that might have affected comms?