Muso can't locate all my music

Report bugs/issues with the Muso software. Fixed issues will be archived.
Keith_W

Muso can't locate all my music

Post by Keith_W »

Hello Jeremy, sorry to keep annoying you with issues.

The problem is twofold:

1. Muso can't see all the music I have in my collection, and
2. There does not seem to be a way to organize the music in the directory structure that I already have.

I'll elaborate. First, a screen shot of a Windows folder, showing my complete collection of John Elliot Gardiner's Bach Cantatas. You will note that I own every single disc:
muso3.jpg
After (1) setting the correct source directory in Options, including scan subfolders, and (2) deep scanning all the subdirectories, this is all that Muso is able to find:
muso4.jpg
Only 21 albums. There are 248 folders in the Bach directory alone. Where are all the other albums? If you look in the pane in the top left, it appears as if Muso HAS actually seen all the albums. But for some reason, it has chosen not to show them to me!

The next issue is preserving the directory structure. This is another screen shot showing how my music is organized on my HDD:
muso5.jpg
I realize that I should be able to edit metadata and custom tags in order to get Muso to display it properly, but even then all the music will be displayed in the root view (e.g. ALL Cantatas, Synfonias, organ works, solo violin, etc will be displayed under "BACH"). When you have so many albums, navigating it becomes really unwieldy.

The way I already have it is perfect. I can quickly find the music I want using Windows file explorer, and each page is not overcrowded with folders.

In fact, a friend suggested that I forget Muso and all playback software, and just use Windows explorer to drag and drop folders into HQPlayer. I have tried this, and it works quite well. But then I have to forego all the interface niceties that Muso provides.

Is there a way to view albums by folder in Muso? If not, are you able to add it?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Muso can't locate all my music

Post by musoware »

Firstly, why it's not showing all your Bach albums: there could be a few reasons for this but it all come down to consistency of tagging. I notice you are in Classical view mode but are you sure all those albums are tagged with a genre classified as Classical? If you untick the violin icon to show mixed mode, perhaps more albums will show up.

Also there is some inconsistency in the way the Bach composer is tagged. And there's always a chance that some of the albums have Bach as the artist rather than the composer (you are browsing hierarchically by Composer).

Secondly, browsing by folder: no, muso can't do this currently, but I think you'll find once we've identified why the albums aren't being collated as you expect this will be a non-issue.
Keith_W

Post by Keith_W »

Are you planning to make "browse by folder" a feature in the future?

I have no plans to go through my music collection and re-tag everything. There is just way too much music for me to bother.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Keith_W wrote:Are you planning to make "browse by folder" a feature in the future?

I have no plans to go through my music collection and re-tag everything. There is just way too much music for me to bother.
Not unless someone asks for it in the feature requests section and it gets plenty of support!

Normally a consistent tagging scheme is enough to ensure that album collation works properly, and that opens up so many possible ways to browse an album collection.
Keith_W

Post by Keith_W »

Thank you Jeremy. Lack of browsing by folders is a deal breaker for me. I am adamant that I am not going to go through thousands of files and re-tag them all. My hobby is listening to music, and not tagging files.

That is very sad, I had high hopes for this player.