Option to exclude custom tags from album/track view.

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
vinylmad

Option to exclude custom tags from album/track view.

Post by vinylmad »

Hi, I was wondering what might be causing my issue of certain Composer names appearing in the wrong places in the Cloud and Hierarchy (when sorting by composer name). Whereas the vast majority of composers are sorted by their first name, seemingly at random a composer will appear sorted by their last name. For instance: ... Alberto Freixanet, Tomaso Albinoni, Alec Briggs ... There are numerous instances of this throughout the Cloud and Hierarchy listings for composers. The same thing happens regardless of sorting A-Z or Z-A.

Using the extended tag editor in Mp3tag I've inspected all albums featuring works by Albinoni, and the COMPOSER tag always shows as 'Tomaso Albinoni'. In all album tracks there is also a COMPOSERSORT tag, in this instance with 'Albinoni Tomaso' (no comma), so is it possible that this is confusing to Muso?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Odd Composer sort order in Cloud and Hierarchy

Post by musoware »

Under Muso's Options you should find a page called "Sorting", containing a mapping of name to sort name - used in all artist/composer lists. There's another section under Music Folders page that turns on feeding this mapping table from sort tags, so please check this has been turned on, and COMPOSERSORT appears there (see screenshot). You should then find on importing a track with the COMPOSERSORT tag that this gets imported to that Sorting mapping table, if not please send a sample music file to support@klarita.net so that I can investigate, and also tell me how you are importing it (File/Folder scan?, LMS inport? iTunes import?). You can also add to that sort mapping table manually.
sort.PNG
sort.PNG (5.76 KiB) Viewed 11762 times
vinylmad

Post by vinylmad »

Excellent - many thanks! Relieved to know that my custom sort tags, maintained over the years for my now-retired Squeezebox system, are still good to use in Muso (via folder/file scan).

On the Music Folders page I've added Composer and Performer sort tags, and removed Artist and AlbumArtist ones (as I haven't created any).

I was going to say I didn't get the point of the Sorting page. However, after re-importing everything, by the looks of it the grid has been auto-populated with all 548 composers and 202 performers... with an option, it would seem, to disable each entry individually. As I'm importing from a file/folder scan, is it best not to interfere with the "import" checkbox? Is there further documentation about this page - I didn't notice any in the Wiki?

BTW, enormous appreciation for creating such a great piece of software, it's really opened up access to the classical part of my music library. I wouldn't really have benefitted from the added sohpistication of Roon, especially since the price hike(!) for a lifetime licence, and Muso's feature set is about right for me.

Not necessarily building up to a feature request, but is there currently a way in Muso to browse all of an individual composer's works, across the whole library, without having to traverse the album level, when looking for occurrences of a specific work? (It was doable with the Squeezebox, using Custom Browse et al plugins. Though my Innuos server/streamer is LMS-based I'm wary of installing 3rd-party plugins in case it compromises Innuos' build.)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

The imported flag is set on all those imported, and just allows you to remove them via the "Clear All Imported" button. so yes best not to interfere with it.

There are 10 custom fields in Muso which can be populated from a tag field via Import Actions, one of these can be set up as a "Work", which can then be used in the hierarchical view. That will allow you to use common names for works, as long as your tags are consistent. But it will only filter the albums which contain that work, which you could also do by searching for the work name.
vinylmad

Post by vinylmad »

musoware wrote:There are 10 custom fields in Muso ... one of these can be set up as a "Work", which can then be used in the hierarchical view.
That works well, thanks. Just a minor issue, but having set up "Work" (which I've mapped to the WORK tag in my files), it now "clutters up" the album and track pages, below the album art. Is there a way to hide it (maybe via CSS, unless there is an explicit option to toggle?), as I shall only ever need to see it in the hierarchical view?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Hmm, I don't think custom fields are shown on album and track pages (artists, performers etc are). Could you post a screenshot? And a screenshot of your Import Actions.
vinylmad

Post by vinylmad »

Here you go...(not sure how to do in-line images)

Album page: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RIpCcq ... sp=sharing. All utilised Custom(n) tags are being displayed below the album art, except Custom2 in this case as there are no Comment tags for this album.

While we're here, you may notice that track 12 is truncated. It should show "1. Pange Lingua", which (apart from the "1.") happens to be the same as the (main work and) GroupHeading. It looks like any part of a track title which matches GroupHeading is being stripped out, which can look a bit odd. Here is the result when I remove the GROUPHEADER tag just from track 12: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kDhbI9 ... sp=sharing. Could this be a bug, or is it as per your design?

Import actions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yIMXaP ... sp=sharing
vinylmad

Post by vinylmad »

I just wanted to add that the other custom tags, entitled "Comment" and "Recorded at", are useful when displayed on the Album page. It's only "Work" that is unnecessarily repeating information already present.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Ah right yes it does show the custom tags on album/track view. Is that not useful? You could hide them through css as it's all in a div named "customFields", but that would always be the case, not dependent on how you got to the album page.

And yes the track name does trim off the group heading, I think I'll have to make that optional (driven by an option) as I'm fairly sure I had another user that needed it due to the way he was importing his tags.
vinylmad

Post by vinylmad »

Yes, in my case some custom tags ("Label" and "Recorded at") are useful in the album/track view; others not so, if they are only required in setting up a Hierarchy view, as with (Composer >) "Work". WORK tags are already incorporated in the TITLE tags, which display in full in the album/track view, so they don't really need to appear a 2nd time, via Custom3.

I can see that each custom tag has its own <div> within customFields, and I presume your code dynamically creates a <div> only when a custom field has a value. Would one possible solution be to have a column of checkboxes entitled "Show", enabled only for custom fields and selected by default in 'Import Actions & Custom Fields', which if deselected by the user would drive the insertion of "display: none" into the relevant <div>, or maybe just avoid creating the <div>, on the album/track page? Something along those lines, anyway - and time/resource premitting, of course. :)
Last edited by vinylmad on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.