A new market for Muso via DLNA/uPNP Support

Request a new feature to add to Muso, or vote +1/-1 for anyone else's suggestion. Even just a few votes will get it looked into (just one possibly not).
JohnInToronto

A new market for Muso via DLNA/uPNP Support

Post by JohnInToronto »

Hello All
I currently use JRiver for playing to the DLNA Network card in my media streamer :-(
It would be great to see Muso as the controller/server which could connect to DLNA Servers and Renderers.
As speak, Roon & Tidal allow playback to DLNA/uPNP devices and PS Audio is writing its software for its upcoming Media Streamer.
The client model for Muso is perfect for the task since it is already separated from player itself.
I think having Muso being able to leverage DLNA servers on NAS devices like Minim & Plex and then connecting associated uPNP rendering devices like A/V systems and DAC devices, etc would be a really compelling and powerful solution.
And I could then get rid of JRiver!
Thanks for your consideration,
John
musoware
Site Admin

Re: A new market for Muso via DLNA/uPNP Support

Post by musoware »

I'd have to do some background study to work out whether this is feasible, it sounds like a fairly major undertaking. But in the mean-time anyone else care to vote for this, and perhaps suggest how you see it working?
JohnInToronto

Re: A new market for Muso via DLNA/uPNP Support

Post by JohnInToronto »

Muso has a lot of the building blocks for DLNA/uPNP streaming already built in.

Perhaps it might look like this in Muso:

1. Options >> Music Sources
- Like defining a LMS server, DLNA servers would be defined here.
- Unlike LMS, I don't see any need for defining local/remote data directories since all data comes from the server.
- Generic DLNA configuration options could be specfied here as well. Options determined by user base.
2. Options >> Players
- uPNP Players & Renderers would be defined here. There isn't much to define for a player/renderer other than its IP address. In the case of combined server/players like A/V receivers, etc, the IP's are the same.
- It is interesting to note that Muso already had DLNA support via Foobar2000 and its own DLNA plug-in. I tried Muso and Foobar together and it sort of worked but was quite clumsy since Muso was controlling the Foobar controller remotely so it wasn't a great user experience.
3. Main Page >> Import
- DLNA imports would be much the same as LMS - full and incremental imports of the library metadata. Syncing the library is always important.
4. Main Page >> Players
- Select the Player/Renderer you defined here, just like HqPlayer, etc.
- Like HqPlayer, the Muso controller would tell the player/renderer what (DLNA server) media to stream to it. Since Muso is controlling the player it will also be able to show the user current track statuses, etc. Just like playing media locally or using HqPlayer.

This would certainly be a flexible solution. I could use my NAS DLNA Server and play to my stereo then go downstairs and play the same content to my A/V system!

Of course, there lots of other products out there that can do this, but apart from products like Roon and Tidal, most of these apps are basic and don't have the funtionality, ease of use or content that Muso provides.

Roon is very expensive. Tidal only does streaming. Most other apps that provide any Muso type of experience/content are limited to the hardware they are bundled with i.e. Sonos, etc.

Adding DLNA/uPNP support to Muso would be a boon to users like me who want a rich experience especially when using their NAS' DLNA and other streaming devices.

Of course, you might have to develop an Apple app as a result ;-)