Manage ratings from 2 different PCs

Discuss Muso, or get help
yorknh

Manage ratings from 2 different PCs

Post by yorknh »

I realize this is probably unusual but I'd like to know if there's some way to manage this. I have a home pc with lms muso and a harddrive with all my music on it. I have a pc at work that has a harddrive that is an exact copy of the home drive, and lms and muso. All of the pathing is the same for the music. I would like to be able to rate music at home and at work and be able to periodically merge the set of ratings together. I noticed in the database folder there is a Music Library.xml file and it looks like it has all the fields in it including the ratings. Does this file get referenced when Muso starts? If so it seems like I should be able to merge those files with something like kdfiff3.

If not, are there any other sort of back door methods I could use?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Manage ratings from 2 different PCs

Post by musoware »

How do you ensure that the hard drives are replicated currently? And how do you import and play your music? Are you using LMS?

Assuming you're not using LMS from a network location which is accessible from both locations, the only way to attempt it without any change of software is to take the Musicy Library.db file (it's smaller than the .xml, and is read first) physically with you between home and the office on a pendrive and copy it into the C:\Users\Public\Misoic\Muso\database folder (assuming you're using the shared location) before you start muso, then replace the file on the pendrive from that location after you close muso when you leave again. Or instead of a pendrive share it on the cloud somewhere.

If it goes wrong when you start up muso you can always delete the .db file again and replace it with one of the backup or savepoint files from the same folder.
yorknh

Post by yorknh »

The 2 drives are of the identical make and were copied via Macrium reflect or something similar so they are identical except for the ratings. I'm running LMS at home. I'm also running LMS at work, but that's really only so I can rate stuff at work. Also, I'm not adding any new music to either drive. The difficulty is when some songs are rated at location 1, and different songs are rated at location 2, if I just copy the db from location 1 it will overwrite the changes made at location 2. Hence the desire to merge rather than overwrite.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

If the sets of ratings have already diverged yes that's am issue, that mechanism would only work if you can start with identical databases.
yorknh

Post by yorknh »

Ok so that brings me back to a variant of my original question. If I merge the xml file and delete the database, will muso use the xml file to create a new database?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Only if you delete the Musicy Library.db file (or move it elsewhere as a backup in case things go wrong). If the .db file isn't there it will use the .xml.