MUSO... new features

Discuss Muso, or get help
maggio

MUSO... new features

Post by maggio »

Hi what do you think to develop Muso as a real Server/Client app?
I mean no more app GUI, everything would be set up by web browser with a new interface developed for tablet and smartphone.
Maggio
musoware
Site Admin

Re: MUSO... new features

Post by musoware »

Such a change would involve a complete redesign from the ground up. The server component would most likely have to be hosted on your own network though, so would have to be cross-platform, and pre-supposes you have some always-on server.
maggio

Post by maggio »

Hi, maybe I can explain better my idea. You have already the Server, you have only to remove gui and develop the possibility to set up everything by web browser.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

That has been on my TODO list for some time, but still it is a major undertaking. You wouldn't be concerned on having a windows server on all the time?

I could perhaps phase the implementation - In the first phase I could make the database edit functions, and the Options screen, still part of the server component on windows so these woud have a Windows UI, but all library browsing/playing would be through any browser, on any device on your network (with device-aware layout changes). Later on in the second phase I could extend it to allow Options & Database edit via the web-based UI too, and then when there is no UI in the server component I could investigate making it cross-platform via Mono deployment.

The Pivot Viewer and new Screen Saver are based on WPF which is Windows-only, but perhaps they could still run along-side the server component when deployed on Windows.

Food for thought.