How to get Muso to play from the Album Page?

Discuss Muso, or get help
oyvindo

How to get Muso to play from the Album Page?

Post by oyvindo »

My player is currently streaming an internet radio.
I launch Muso and goto the album page and use the magic wand to select 10 artists from similar artists.
I can see that the playlist is correctly populated.
But how can I get it to start playing?

If I click Pause/Play the internet stream the the player is busy with just stops and start again.
If I rightclick on items in the playlist, my only option is 'clear'.

I guess if the player were busy playing a file, it would pick up the new playlist at the end of the file, but as long as it is streaming, it is like a never-ending file, thus there is no easy way to get it to play from the playlist instead. I know that I can shortcut this by playing some other track randomly and then populate the playlist, but still, I think there should have been a possibility to choose 'Play' when I rightclick on any file in the playlist ?

Just an idea ;)
musoware
Site Admin

Re: How to get Muso to play from the Album Page?

Post by musoware »

To clear the current playlist (or radio stream) and start playing random tracks via the magic wand, hold down the control key while clicking the wand.

http://musoware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Playing_Music
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

Oohh, that's a tricky one :?
Not easy to remember things like that (unless you are the author).
I'm not a big fan of key-click combinations (or keyboard shortcuts in general).

I am a believer in right-clicking to open a context menu, with the exception of de facto standards like shift-click to select a group and ctrl-click to select individual items (like MS has in explorer).

While we're at it, (talking about right clicking) - here's another peculiarity; In both the current track page as well as in the album page, ratings can be set several places (which is ok), but it cannot be removed by right clicking on the same place (with one exception). This seems inconsistent. The behaviour of UI elements should preferable be consistent all around, don't you think?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

oyvindo wrote:In both the current track page as well as in the album page, ratings can be set several places (which is ok), but it cannot be removed by right clicking on the same place (with one exception). This seems inconsistent.
To clear a rating that has been set, click at the left edge of the first star. Another non-intuitive feature possibly, but that's how it is currently.

What's the 'one exception''?
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

I wouldn't be surprised if again it's me doing something wrong, but on the Album Page there are two different places where ratings can be set, one for the whole album, and one for each track. In addition - there a rating field for the "Now Playing" track. This field can be set by clicking and unset by right-clicking.(That's what I ment with exception) For the other two ratings fields (mentioned above) this is not possible. It took me a long time to figure out that I had to ctrl-click in those fields to remove all stars.
I'm sure this is documented somewhere, and it is not critical in any way. Its just another example of small inconsistencies that you may wish to look into.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Hmm there's no right-click or control-click functionality on star ratings as far as I am aware - right-click on the left panel is interpreted the same as a click.
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

Aha... now I understand...
I began by clicking in the left panel, and as I didn't know how to remove stars, I tried to right click (that for me is an intuitive action in search of a possible context sensitive menu with more options).
In doing so, I discovered that the stars were removed, and I therefore assumed that this was your way of implementing this; Left click = on, right click = off.
It never occurred to me that had I left clicked instead, I would have had the exact same result. In fact I never tried.

Then - after having "learned" that stars could be turned off by right clicking, I went over to the Album Page to do the same, but there it didn't work!

That's why I assumed that a bug was lurking somewhere. It still didn't occur to me to try to left click instead.

So, I guess - I may be stupid - but there is in fact an inconsistency between the right and the left panel. I don't know if this is significant enough for you to spend time on. That's up up you.

Thank you for finally pointing me in the right direction. I now feel comfortable to begin rating songs again :-)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Yes clicking again on the last star toggles it between a full star and a half star - again possibly not intuitive, until you get the hang of it.
http://musoware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ratings
oyvindo

Post by oyvindo »

You are avoiding the issue Jezbo,
My issue is the possible inconsistency between the rating bars in left and in the right panel.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Noted