Timeline Slider Bar

Requests that have been discussed but rejected (or just parked for now) are archived here.
musoware
Site Admin

Timeline Slider Bar

Post by musoware »

Morbeas
Monday, 9:20 PM EST

It'd be nice to have a persistent timeline slider bar thingy. See screenshot please:

1. RE: Timeline slider bar
Tuesday, 2:24 AM EST

+1
I've been thinking the same.
Richard

MDE1
3. RE: Timeline slider bar
Tuesday, 7:50 AM EST | Post edited: Tuesday, 7:53 AM EST

Does your hosting service have softaculous or similar - there may be something there? Tiki Wiki looks interesting. Trouble is, this sort of thing can be a diversion from the main task. However, if you really want to go Wiki for documentation etc then it may be worth it. FWIW IMHO I think Muso has great potential - just needs a bit of polishing and promotion - so integrating website, wiki and forum might be a good plan.
EDIT (on topic) Timeline slider is potentially nice, but I think it is leading in the direction of closer integration with the player software (playlist etc), which would also be nice but the implications of which probably need thinking through.
Morbeas

Re: Timeline Slider Bar

Post by Morbeas »

I'm not sure what MDE1 means with his last sentence: "Timeline slider is potentially nice, but I think it is leading in the direction of closer integration with the player software (playlist etc), which would also be nice but the implications of which probably need thinking through".
MDE

Post by MDE »

What I mean is that Muso just simply queues music for a player to play. I'm assuming that there is a reason why it doesn't actually manage the playlist itself. The more links to the player there are, the more the user might assume that it looks like a player and should behave like one. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, rather raising a philosophical question about the direction of travel of Muso. At the moment it works OK with LMS as the player, but the Muso interface is so much nicer, it's a shame that it needs to pull in the LMS web interface. Also, Muso does not handle saved playlists. Of course, the future of LMS is moot, although there is a fair user base. Just musing...
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

You're right. It's a loose integration that I'm after rather than tight integration, the emphasis in on a rich music browsing experience rather than player control - unless I lose the integration with other players (winamp etc) basic control of the player is as far as I want to take it.

In this particular case (timeline slider bar) you could argue that if it's there on the Now Playing screen why can't it be there all the time. The main reason I wouldn't want to do this is that to show the timeline requires more intense communication between Muso and LMS (polling it every second for a player status, which possibly involves LMS asking the player too). Therefore there is a chance that all this extra comms could actually interfere with the smooth delivery of music between LMS and the player, so it's not something I'm fully comfortable with going on persistently while Muso is active.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

musoware wrote: Therefore there is a chance that all this extra comms could actually interfere with the smooth delivery of music between LMS and the player, so it's not something I'm fully comfortable with going on persistently while Muso is active.
But every player out there does this, so it's obviously not impossible. How do they manage it?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Morbeas wrote:
musoware wrote: Therefore there is a chance that all this extra comms could actually interfere with the smooth delivery of music between LMS and the player, so it's not something I'm fully comfortable with going on persistently while Muso is active.
But every player out there does this, so it's obviously not impossible. How do they manage it?
It's LMS doing it! I have to communicate with LMS via the CLI, that's an additional level of communication, I can't just "tap into" the LMS internals.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

I'm not sure that I understand. Ipeng, SqueezeCommander, SqueezePad etc etc all do it. I mean it's an extremely basic functionality for those apps so why does it seem like it's more complicated for muso?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Morbeas wrote:I'm not sure that I understand. Ipeng, SqueezeCommander, SqueezePad etc etc all do it. I mean it's an extremely basic functionality for those apps so why does it seem like it's more complicated for muso?
None of them have to use the CLI to communicate, they all have access to the LMS internals, with the possible exception of iPeng - not sure how that does it.
Morbeas

Post by Morbeas »

Hmmm, can't help you there. Maybe you can ask on the forums though! ;)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Morbeas wrote: But every player out there does this, so it's obviously not impossible. How do they manage it?
And it should be re-emphasised that Muso is not a player.