Importing headers

Feature requests that have been implemented will be filed here.
MDE

Importing headers

Post by MDE »

It looks like Muso is designed to import these fields (AlbumSubheader, DiscSubheader and GroupHeading) automatically, since the "import actions" include the standard fields @AlbumSubheader, @DiscSubheader and @GroupHeading. However, when importing (from FLAC) via "import from specific folder", these fields do not get imported. Neither does adding them as import actions work. However, if I import #ALBUMSUBHEADER into AlbumSubheader, that works. This may be something to do with the type of tags (see the "Album Artist" bug)?
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Importing headers

Post by musoware »

There are no tagging standards for these as far as I know, so yes it is left to you to direct an appropriate extended tag (eg. #ALBUMSUBHEADER) into these fields.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Ok but what is @AlbumSubheader etc. for? Also, is it possible to export these fields to the obvious named tags?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

The @ fields allow you to refer to the value of a Muso field in an import action. If, for example you wanted to import AlbumSubheader from the tag ALBUMSUBHEADER, and then combine that with the album title in the comment field:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.82 KiB) Viewed 9893 times
Yes I could export these to ALBUMSUBHEADER, DISCSUBHEADER and GROUPHEADING extended tags, and attempt to read from these too (without having to be explicitly added to import actions as above). I'll add that to my TODO list.
MDE

Post by MDE »

Somehow I didn't grasp that when the feature came out. Now I understand! Ta. The question about exporting remains, but I guess, now I understand how things work, that it could be achieved by putting @AlbumSubheader into a custom field and exporting that (should work, if a bit clunky).
MDE

Post by MDE »

MDE wrote: (should work, if a bit clunky).
Actually very clunky, I think. The thing is, for each subheader you need an import action to the relevant Muso field plus an import action to a custom field if it is desired to keep the underlying tags in step. That's four import actions to basically say "map AlbumSubHeader to the tag ALBUMSUBHEADER and DiscSubHeader to the tag DISCSUBHEADER". On top of which the user needs to update duplicate fields in Muso. Am I missing something?
The reason why I raise it is because I am trying to achieve two objectives (among others):
1) A streamlined process for ripping CD's where, barring errors, the metadata only needs to be fetched/entered/modified at the ripping stage (when you have the CD cover to hand). That would include any subheader comments you wished to apply.
2) Keeping all the "permanent" metadata that you may wish to retain in the tags attached to the music files (and keeping it in sync with Muso). That doesn't mean that there isn't a also role for some metadata that is wholly internal to Muso (such as Muso tags).
The "standard" field for comments is of course COMMENTS, and I tend to keep the AlbumSubheader text in both fields anyway (and I don't really use DiscSubheader). One (sort of) solution to make things simpler would be to map Comments to AlbumSubheader but that might not work for everyone and also is restrictive for comments that are track-specific. I did wonder about using an XML-type structure within COMMENTS, e.g. "<album>Some album-related comments here</album><disc>Any disc-related comments</disc>" etc. but that's probably a tad esoteric for most.
At the moment, I will stick with doubling things up in the Comments field, but I feel there must be a better way.
(And I appreciate this has somehow morphed back into a feature request, of sorts)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I'm importing & exporting the muso-specific fields ALBUMSUBHEADER, DISCSUBHEADER and GROUPHEADING as extended tags (as well as BONUS) in the next version.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Done.