LyricWikia display

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
Ed Howarth

LyricWikia display

Post by Ed Howarth »

Way back, I seem to remember we got the full song lyrics on the Now Playing page. Now we get just the first few lines with a link to the full lyrics on LyricWikia. That's fair enough, they want visitors to visit their site, not just have some of their text copied.
However, when the link is clicked in Muso I get at least a page and a half of blue background printing that I have to scroll through to get to the lyrics. If I open the page using Chrome, there is a blue narrow band across the top and immediately below are the lyrics. Are we stuck with this....?
BTW, I am sure tonight I actually got a full page of lyrics on the Now Playing page, but couldn't reproduce it again!
musoware
Site Admin

Re: LyricWikia display

Post by musoware »

Ah right I see what you mean - wikia.com have restyled their lyrics pages in a way which the IE rendering engine doesn't seem to like. I'll have a look at this again soon, and see if there's some other service now where I can get free unrestricted lyrics - I doubt it as it all seems tied down by licensing restrictions these days, but I can look.

You may see cached lyrics from before wikia.com starting only feeding the first few lines through it's free API.
Ed Howarth

Post by Ed Howarth »

That makes sense. Thanks for that.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

On first perusal it seems that wikia.com no longer works for lyrics lookups, and licensing restrictions seem to be in place on all sites I have found which means that I might not be able to perform any automatic lookup any longer. The best I might be able to do is to generate links to look up lyrics on various sites that I know work, and the ability to paste lyrics into a track page once you have sourced them yourself (from these links or elsewhere).
Ed Howarth

Post by Ed Howarth »

I don't know about everyone else but I read the lyrics of almost every album I listen to, so having at least a link on the Now Playing page would be good. Pasting lyrics would be a mammoth task!

Anything you could do would be good. Appreciated as well.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I couldn't find a service which reliably provides full lyrics, not without a prohibitive cost. It's much more tied down by licencing restrictions now than it used to be.

The search button on the Track Notes / Lyrics section header does invoke a search in two lyrics sites that I know work as of now (these may change over time), plus a generic google search - though thry will open as tabs in your default browser rather than inside Muso. Usually one more click from one of those searches takes you to the full lyrics page, it worked for the majority of the tracks I have tested. Whether you choose to paste those lyrics into Muso to then have this persisted in the database is up to you.
Ed Howarth

Post by Ed Howarth »

Just got back from a few days away so didn't realise it's already implemented. Thanks muchly. I suppose a quick cut and paste won't be too onerous each time I play a track, and then it's there for ever.
If I were to do this, where would the data be stored? Just so I can do a backup....
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I tend to do it if it's a track I play often, and know I would like to follow the lyrics with - probably not for the vast majority of tracks which are for background listening.

Track lyrics are stored in the main database file C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database\Music Library.db
Album and Artist notes are stored in the reference file C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database\Reference.xml
Ed Howarth

Post by Ed Howarth »

Thanks.