Machine ID Changes With Every Update

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
sonata

Machine ID Changes With Every Update

Post by sonata »

Every time I am prompted to download and install the latest version of Muso, the Machine ID changes for a given PC, and I end up in another trial period. This requires me to request a new license. For convenience, can Muso be modified to keep the same Machine ID?
DuLac

Re: Machine ID Changes With Every Update

Post by DuLac »

I can report the same behaviour. However, tthe machine ID is always the same, the original one. I just need to reenter my license credentials again and again.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

I don't quite understand why that would be. Doesn't happen for me.

1) Has this just started happening with version 2.5.25 or longer?
2) Are you using the standard web installer which self-updates, or the standalone installer which requires you to download the .msi file first?
3) When you go to the Enter Licence Key screen after an update has it lost the previously entered licence key, i.e. is it blank?
4) What O/S?
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

1) I can only report it with version 2.25.25. However, I am unable to guarantee that this did not happen with the previous version.
2) I use the standard web installer
3) You are right. The form is blank except from the Machine ID
4) Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bits
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

That's a weird one. I've rolled back the only change I made in 2.5.25 that I think might have affected this, but I still don't see why this would cause it for you 2 guys and not others, including me.
sonata

Post by sonata »

I have three PC’s running Win10 Home (both 32 Bit and 64 Bit) with Muso installed.
All of them have required the license to be re-applied after an upgrade.

One PC’s has so far retained the same Machine ID, and so the existing license has been accepted.
But the other 2 PC’s, after applying each update, have been issued with a different Machine ID.
I do know that for one PC, this happened when upgrading from V2.5.18.3. As regards the other 2, I cannot say from what version I was upgrading.
In all cases, I am using the standard web installer which self-updates. And when I go to the Enter Licence Key screen after an update, it has lost the previously entered licence key, i.e. is it blank

Is it possible that there be no need to manually re-enter the license after an upgrade? I would have assumed this would be automatic, as with other software.
sonata

Post by sonata »

musoware wrote: Are you using the standard web installer which self-updates, or the standalone installer which requires you to download the .msi file first?
I have given this some more thought and want to clarify my last reply.

When I update, it is after starting muso and a window pops up to say there is an update and do I want to update to the newer version. Is that what you call the standard web installer?

The download is initiated, then installed automatically. Then I start muso but receive an error stating that muso is already running. So I bring to the fore-ground the previous instance of muso, quit it and then start the new version of muso.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

No, that's not the standard web installer, it's just a reminder that you are not on the latest version. If you have used the standard web installer there should be no need to follow this advice as the software should self-update the next time you start it - sorry if this has caused confusion.

On your start menu are you seeing a folder for "Muso 2.5" or "Muso 2.5 (standalone)"? or both?

When you do follow the advice and go to the home page which option do you pick? The standard Download link or the standalone installer link?

There should be no need to manually re-enter the license after an upgrade.
sonata

Post by sonata »

Well I think I understand it now.

I followed your advice and chose the standard Download link from the muso website - not the standalone installer link. I then ran this small file on one PC, which downloaded and installed muso. This PC then displayed a different Machine ID that I had recorded previously, so I used the license previously provided for that Machine ID, which was accepted. On the other PC, I followed the same process, and this time the Machine ID and license was retained.

I assume that the small file downloaded from the muso website remains the same across versions, but initiates a download and install of the latest version. And importantly retains the Machine ID.
And when a popup window advises of an update, I should ignore the option to update from that window - instead I should go to the website and download.

Am I correct?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Not quite - yes ignore the advice to go to the page if you have chosen the standard install, but you don't have to go to the website to download, it should update itself as it needs to when you run it.