Last FM information not showing

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
RichG

Re: Last FM information not showing

Post by RichG »

musoware wrote:Ah hang on though - the clear artwork menu option resets the last searched date/time for the album and the GetLastFMAlbumData lookup, but not for the artist and the GetLastFMArtistData lookup. I'll see if there's a way to force this lookup again.
Ah OK :)
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Yeah see my response before - it's the Artist lookup we want to trigger again not the album, but unfortunately there's no way to reset the artist data with current functionality, and because the last artist lookup failed (for some reason), it's not going to try again until the 30 days have elapsed.

Let me have a think to see what else we might try.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Ok no worries.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

You might like to temporarily change one of your album's artist name to someone you don't already have in your collection, to force a lookup to see if the muso log captures an issue. Some obscure-ish artists which I know are in last.fm include:

Marissa Nadler
Sophie Hunger
Valery Gergiev
Carl Vine
Factory Floor
Warpaint

I just tried this last one, however (Warpaint), and though I see in Fiddler it got the data, it did take 5-6 seconds, and meanwhile Muso's request had timed out:

03:< 519.430> GetLastFMArtistData for Warpaint days=0
03:< 519.433> . last.fm lookup
A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in System.dll
The operation has timed out
03:< 524.629> . got last.fm data lengths 0,0,0,0,0

This is what may be happening to you - it might be down to last.fm being v.slow to respond ONCE, Muso timing out and then not searching again for 30 days. Something for me to investigate further...
RichG

Post by RichG »

Mmm...

Just tried that with an album.

Guess what - Last FM worked fine for each of the artists [I can't use Narissa Nadler and Warpaint as I have albums by them]...

You are most probably correct about the timeout. I'll try using a few other names at another time to see if they respond any different and will report back.... Otherwise I'll have to sit it out for a month I guess until the 30 days cache is up.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK last.fm lookups CAN be slow, I guess it's down to their server & the load they are under at the time - the timeout is set to 5s so I may change that to 10. I'll also think of some way to force an artist re-request rather than assuming the result will be the same for 30 days. Also I'll ensure that a timeout doesn't force an update of blank data to the cache. You can expect all this in the next version.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

You should find the above changes in 2.2.10
RichG

Post by RichG »

Hey Jez - thanks but unfortunately this hasn't helped.

What I'm seeing:

On artist page - if I reset the data for an artist that already has LastFM on cache, I can see in Fiddler communication with LastFM, Amazon and Wikipedia and the information will be displayed as expected (Fiddler shows two LastFM entries).

However, if I select an artist that currently has nothing cached for LastFM and reset the data, there is traffic with Amazon and Wikipedia but no traffic showing with LastFM.

Similarly I can clear the album data cache on an album page with similar results - those with existing cached data return and display fine, those albums from artists with no cached data do not.

I'd suggest there my be an issue at the artist level rather than album.

Hope that helps and thanks again.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK yes I found an issue with resetting the artist data - will fix tomorrow. Are you sure clearing an album's data doesn't result in a lastfm re-request?
NB. An album will always issue a request for Amazon data because it's in their T+C's that clients are not allowed to cache the data returned.
RichG

Post by RichG »

musoware wrote: Are you sure clearing an album's data doesn't result in a lastfm re-request?
NB. .
I just checked again and clearing an albums data DOES appear to result in a LastFM request for the album (but not artist).

Sorry if I suggested otherwise in previous post.