Loading, importing and editing times

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
DuLac

Re: Loading, importing and editing times

Post by DuLac »

Ok I shall follow your suggetion and report back. Thanks you once again.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

I run a Portuguese Version of Windows 7. The original was in Portuguese but I installed the UK English files and everything is in English.
In the meantime I already copied the database files to C:\Users\Public\Music\muso and I believe that that solved my problem. Muso starts much faster now in less than 1 min. I tried to edit one track and it took something like 1 minute or so.
Fantastic. I will keep you posted. Thank you for your very fine help.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

That's very interesting, I wouldn't have thought it should have that much effect, performance-wise - I'm still puzzled why it does in the collate loop once it has loaded the xml - very odd.

I'll look into the issue of why it should write directly under the Program Files folder should you ever want to switch back to a Personal db. But as it wasn't writing to a personal folder I doubt whether you really needed this!

Editing 1 track taking one minute still sounds a little excessive though - at what stage is the delay?
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

I am sure editing the name of a track took much less than 1 minute. I just wanted to report the massive improvement in performance. I will report back with more accurate figures.;-)
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

i) I decided to totally clean my previous installations and start again from scratch. I installed muso2 to C:\Program Files (x86)\klarita.net\muso2. I then opened this folder in explorer and started muso2. I wanted to check if muso would create a subfolder named muso in the install directory. It did! After starting muso the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\klarita.net\muso2\muso was automatically created. In there I found Music Library.xml, Reference.xml and Tags.xml.
Also under C:\Users\Public\Music there was a new folder named muso with the following subfolders; covers, html, logs, themes and xml.
I then proceed to import one full album and noticed that info data pertaining to that album was added to C:\Program Files (x86)\klarita.net\muso2\muso\Music Library.xml and not to the default shared folder C:\Users\Public\Music\muso as in muso.ini.
However, under C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\covers there there was the jpeg file with the CD cover from the import I had just made. Same with data in the log file in C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\logs

ii) I then edited muso.ini to make the sharedFolder=C:\muso\muso. I copied my old and very large db's there. I started the program. It showed 1 full album (the one previously imported) but under Options|Config the shared folder was still C:\muso\muso.
muso was not reading the very large xml file at all!

iii) Next I copied my old db's and all other data files form a previous installation to C:\Program Files (x86)\klarita.net\muso2\muso\ overwriting any similar named files there. I fired muso and although I took ages to start it did eventually show all my music. I have to say that I had forgotten to change win.ini and it still showed the shared folder as C:\muso\muso as mentioned in ii). As far as muso was concerned it did not matter really.

As I said earlier I have Windows 7 originally in Portuguese. It has been converted to UK English by adding the corresponding language pack. I believe that although the user interface, folder names, shortcuts, et al. are all in English now, underneath that I may have some Portuguese notations which strangely seem to confuse your program.

I tried to be as detailed as possible here so that you may have some clues to what is responsible for this unexpected behaviour. The fact that muso2 is still in beta state does not matter here really.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

So is it slow again for you now? If I were you I'd delete muso.ini from the program folder and switch to the shared db configuration to force it to store everything under C:\Users\Public\Music\muso.

NB. I'm changing the default configuration to Shared given that the Private config can lead to folders being stored under Program Files, but this will only affect new installations.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Yes I did that. The program now uses the xml located in the shared folder but the time it takes to load either the program itself or to add a new file to the db has not improved a bit. I guess I will have to live with this until better days.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Hmm I'm confused - this is the same as you did yesterday where you reported a huge improvement?
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Sorry about that. Yes, I think I jumped to conclusions a little too fast yesterday. I thought muso was writing the xml to C:\Users\Public\Music\muso when in fact it was writing it to a fresh db stored under Program Files as I was able to determine today with a little more time. I will send you a log file from the new setup.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Yes a new log with 2.0.01 please, having deleted your muso.ini and set your db to shared.