Loading, importing and editing times

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
DuLac

Loading, importing and editing times

Post by DuLac »

When I start muso it will take some 5 min plus to load. Also when I import from a folder containing one average sized record it will also take well above 5 minutes. I have just installed muso2 beta and these times seem to have worsened. Editing is also a nightmare for the very same reason. I never actually timed these events but the 5min plus are no exaggeration whatsoever.
I ran muso on a Win7 PC with 16Gb Ram. It connects to the network via WiFi. I have SB running in a Vortexbox PC which connects to the network via one of these TP-Link Powerline capable of up to 500Mbps. My Wifi router is very modern. It has been supplied by the cable TV provider re branded with their own name.
My Music Database is >500Mb and my Music Library.xml file is >100.000Kb
Apart from these issues I am a very happy muso user. Can someone tell me if what I report is what to be expected from a system like the one described or if I may have a bottleneck somewhere along the line.
Prior to the addition of the Vortexbox I used to have all my music in an USB disc connected to my Windows 7 PC. Everything happened lightning fast then! :cry:
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Loading, importing and editing times

Post by musoware »

Well, as luck would have it my comms/music setup is very similar to yours: VortexBox over TP-Link, music db 555Gb (50,000 tracks), library xml size 62Mb. But my Win7 laptop is lower spec than yours with only 4Gb RAM - this also links via a TP-Link rather than wireless.

My startup time from double-click to fully responsive application is under 20 seconds. Import from folder scan is also seconds rather than minutes, a full import from LMS can take over a minute, but I only have to do that rarely. So yes it seems you have a bottle-neck somewhere - I'd be interested to hear other users experiences.

Can you send me a muso.log file for analysis? (run in debug mode from start menu).
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

I've just PM'd you with a link to the muso.log file.
Thanks
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Well that's odd. Whereas you have:
06:< 6,465> Collate from initDB
06:< 6,489> CollateAlbums start
06:< 790,802> . populate collections tot=5416
06:<1504,861> CollateAlbums end

I have:
05:< 4.919> Collate from initDB
05:< 4.927> CollateAlbums start
05:< 5.618> . populate collections tot=5251
05:< 8.602> CollateAlbums end

Within the diamond brackets is the elapsed seconds since the program was started. A similar number of albums as you can see. I would guess yours is a memory problem if I didn't know you had 4 times as much as me!

I might add some more detailed logging. Do you have a mapping set up so that muso can see the media files? Let me know what it's set to please (not that it makes much difference on my config).
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Just noticed this too from your log:
06:< 1,636> InitDb folder=muso\

Can you let me know where muso's "Music Library.xml" file actually is? Do you have it set to personal or shared? If shared did you relocate it via an .ini file? I have a fully qualified local path in here, ie.:
10:< 1.023> InitDb folder=C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database\
RichG

Post by RichG »

IIRC I reported a similar, but nothing like as bad issue a while ago. It takes just over a minute for Muso to become usable. This is on a Dual 2GHz Atom with 4GB RAM and application and database residing on a fast SSD. LMS library is approx 60k tracks on a Fedora server connected via GB LAN).

Looking at a snippet of a log (from the new V2 Beta), it looks like my bottleneck maybe in a slightly different point to DuLacs:

Code: Select all

03:<   4.189> InitDb folder=C:\Users\Dickie\Music\muso\     
     03:<   4.190> InitDb start
     03:<   4.214> InitDb 1
     03:<   4.249> InitDb 2
     03:<   4.250> InitDb 3
     03:<   4.251> read db
     03:<  28.466> done read Music db
     03:<  29.325> done read Reference db
     03:<  29.789> SavereferenceDB : no changes
     03:<  29.790> Collate from initDB
     03:<  29.821> CollateAlbums start
     03:<  33.894> . populate collections tot=3149
     03:<  48.806> CollateAlbums end
     03:<  48.807> done collate
     03:<  49.160> InitDb end

I'm surprised that the readdb stage takes 25 seconds considering it's reading from the SSH drive.

BTW I'm liking the new version - seems much smoother and graphically more coherent.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Yes I'm surprised by that too RichG. How big is your xml file? Mine takes just 3.2s to read a 62Mb xml file from a standard disk.
RichG

Post by RichG »

musoware wrote:Yes I'm surprised by that too RichG. How big is your xml file? Mine takes just 3.2s to read a 62Mb xml file from a standard disk.

Music Library .xml is 93MB.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

musoware wrote:Just noticed this too from your log:
06:< 1,636> InitDb folder=muso\

Can you let me know where muso's "Music Library.xml" file actually is? A screenshot of the Options/Configuration screen would be useful. I have a fully qualified path in here, ie.:
10:< 1.023> InitDb folder=C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database\
My muso2 xml file is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Music\muso2\muso. This is a copy of the one from muso 1.5.52 which is located C:\Program Files (x86)\Music\muso\muso. I had to make a copy as otherwise muso2 showed an empty database after installation. Anyway both versions take ages to respond as reported.
My Options/Configuration screen shows C:\Users\Public\Music\muso. This folder is there with 2 files (muso.log and muso_upgrade.log) and it has the following subfolders; catalog (empty), covers, html, logs (with the import logs), themes, xml (with one file only. The file is my_name_Watch.xml).
With your information I guess the best thing to do is to uninstall and fully erase any mention to muso and muso2 and start again from scratch, which I shall do. Can you tell me if muso writes the necessary file paths and other info to the registry?
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

It is wrong that muso is writing the db to under your Program Files folder. If you have it set to a personal database it should be writing to a muso sub-folder under your "My Music" folder (eg. C:\Users\Jeremy\Music\muso\). If it had done that from muso 1 as it was supposed to you wouldn't have had to copy the db. I wonder if there's a foreign language issue here, but I'm not hard-coding "Music" I'm using a .NET built-in to retrieve the user's "My Music" folder path so I'd have thought that should cover foreign language Windows issues. If you could maybe try switching to a "shared" database to see if that makes any difference? Then it should write to C:\Users\Public\Music\muso\database. I'm not saying this is definitely the reason for the slow performance, but it's definitely worth eliminating.

What language windows is it by the way?