Loading, importing and editing times

Fixed bugs will be filed here.
musoware
Site Admin

Re: Loading, importing and editing times

Post by musoware »

As an aside, I see from the log you've created your own themes. There may be some rework in getting these fully compatible with version 2.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

OK please repeat with 2.0.03, or 2.0.04.

If this doesn't identify the precise issue we might try another tack: if you could send me your xml files (Music Library.xml and Reference.xml) and I will try to run it through the album collation function here. I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with the location of the physical media files, all this collation function does is read the xml and make some data collections out of it, I should be able to trace that through. I'd only need to know some of your Option settings to replicate what it's doing for you there quite precisely.
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Made some improvements to the collation in 2.0.05, but probably only marginal.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

As an aside, I see from the log you've created your own themes. There may be some rework in getting these fully compatible with version 2.
Yes, I have adapted one of the default themes. I had to make a very minor change in muso2. All is OK
OK please repeat with 2.0.03, or 2.0.04.
If this doesn't identify the precise issue we might try another tack: if you could send me your xml files (Music Library.xml and Reference.xml) and I will try to run it through the album collation function here. I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with the location of the physical media files, all this collation function does is read the xml and make some data collections out of it, I should be able to trace that through. I'd only need to know some of your Option settings to replicate what it's doing for you there quite precisely.
I missed both 2.0.03 and 04. I am sending you the log from 2.0.05 from my desktop running Win7 64. I also installed muso2 in an old laptop running win XP 32. It took ages to load muso too. I am also sending the respective log using ver 2.0.3. Please access all these files plus the xml's as requested at https://copy.com/iG88PPf7hyH8
Because muso also took a long time to load in a another machine I was going to have a look at the router to see if the bottleneck comes from there. I was planning to use the cable company modem/router as a modem only and connect it to another wifi router to see if there are any improvements. I have not done it yet.
Made some improvements to the collation in 2.0.05, but probably only marginal.
I used ver 2.0.5 for the log mentioned above. It seems that times were reduced in some 50%. I do not want to jump to any conclusions but it seems that instead of the 20 odd minutes we had before we got to down to something around the 10 minute mark.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

i) If I disable the network connection (wifi in my case) prior to starting muso the actual starting time gets down to only some 20s! All is fine after reconnecting to the network

ii) If I start importing from a given VB music folder and next after some seconds I disable the network connection (from the log files I gather it should be something like 10s but I disconnected from the network after +/- 30s) muso shows all the complete imported data, including custom tags. The only thing missing is the image cover. After reconnection I can play the songs and add the album cover as usual
Not a very elegant solution, I know :!:
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Yeah that makes sense from what I discovered from the new logs you sent. I narrowed down the delay to a single .NET function call that strips the song file name from the front of the full path, it seems the .NET built-in actually attempts to access the file across the network to do this. When you disable network access it must do it without trying to access the file. I've changed this to handle it through simple string manipulation rather than using the .NET built-in (Path.GetDirectoryname). So please go ahead and try 2.0.06 and hopefully we'll see it start up within 20s even with your network connected.

I'm not sure why I didn't see the same issue, but perhaps this could have been affecting others.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Problems solved! Congratulations and an enormous Thank You!
The log file of a very happy user is here ->https://copy.com/iNMirOufeN1X
musoware
Site Admin

Post by musoware »

Excellent! And thanks to you - I wouldn't have known about or been able to diagnose this issue without your help.
DuLac

Post by DuLac »

Just an additional note. After the changes made in 2.0.6 I also noted an enormous improvement on the time it takes to generate a queue of random tracks. It is a feature I seldom use and therefore the length of time it took to generate the queue was somewhat irrelevant to me.